Marketable Securities

Can someone please clarify the term “marketable securities”? From what I understand, “marketable securities” includes all trading securities and those available-for-sale securities and held-to-maturity securities that have a maturity of less than 1 year. Is this correct? Thanks,

By “marketable securities” do you mean securities for which there is a open market where they trade?

Guys, I’m sorry to bother with this very simple term, but it’s really messing me up. Any suggestions?

In a couple of questions in Schweser they use marketable securities in the BS… initially I thought it meant only trading securities… but now I realize they this line item might include trading and available for sale… or anything that matures in one year… tried to look it up in the notes, but couldn’t find a clarification…

it’s every security with a market price. Even if derived from a model. The question will always mention it, though.

thanks. I guess you’re right–the question should describe which classification in particular.

dose it include common stock? in some CFAI mock exam, it ask quick/current ratio under temporal and current method . I am wondering how common stock fit in , as it will be translated different under current method. thanks. nattyg Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > thanks. I guess you’re right–the question should > describe which classification in particular.

hw0799 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > dose it include common stock? > > in some CFAI mock exam, it ask quick/current ratio > under temporal and current method . > > I am wondering how common stock fit in , as it > will be translated different under current method. > thanks. > > nattyg Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > thanks. I guess you’re right–the question > should > > describe which classification in particular. A Marketable Security should be any security that is publicly traded on a Stock Exchange, Bourse, OTC market etc…usually there are many shareholders, buys/sells and % ownership are public information a non marketable security would usually be a privately held company where there are few shareholders and trades (buys sells) do not have to be disclosed (other than to the taxman)

Aren’t marketable securities current monetary assets? So for translation/remeasurement they’d both be at the current rate?

kbakes is right. marketable securities are generally a proxy for cash (like t-bills)…ie easily liquidated securities (so likely maturities of less than one year). i don’t think we will get into a situation where you are trying to determine specific classes of trading/AVS/HTM as a subset of marketable securities though. note that HTM would almost definitely appear in a line called “investments” (or something similar) on the B/S. trading and AVS could appear in marketable securities but i would think would likely be classified as investments as well.