Markets nice and calm....no more shorts

They should extend the ban on short selling indefinitely.

You cant be serious…

I think they should ban selling.

you said the word ‘short’. prepare to die…the agents are on their way

dude retarted…

I think we should ban the color red. Commies invented it.

louisvillegrad Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > They should extend the ban on short selling > indefinitely. why?

We are commies now

Rydex Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > We are commies now Glad someone got the punch line :wink:

Btw i dont know how you can say +341 = calm. Sure the markets aren’t going down, but id hardly say they are “calm”

The markets sure as hell won’t be calm when that band aid short ban ends in 10 days. I think I might exit my positions 2 days before it ends. I expect investors to move into cash on that 9th day and a sh%t storm the day the ban is lifted unless some major progress is made in D.C.

“The markets sure as hell won’t be calm when that band aid short ban ends in 10 days.” Well then don’t remove that band aid…

Are you being sarcastic louisvillegrad?

I don’t believe they should ban it forever- but temporary was necessary- I believe shorts balance the market and expose weakness, hidden issues. Why should they ban it temporarily? B/c they can’t regulate it properly- let this hype calm down on shorting the brokerages/I banks until the plan is fully unveiled, proposed, and people see what this will do for the firms. Then keep monitoring the shorts (no naked shorts) and REINSTATE THE UPTICK RULE. People have been screaming this for quite some time…and some people argue it doesn’t due much. Well if doesn’t, then BRING IT BACK!

So how come there was no problem in the absence of the uptick rule for over a year now? Why is the uptick rule suddenly a problem?

Why didn’t the uptick save all of the dot bombs from crashing?

Dreary who said it “suddenly” is a problem? people have been writing articles, papers, studies about this since '07. The SEC studied its removal, and ran a pilot program on 1,000 stocks starting in '05-'06- a year when the bull market was getting going. Not in a bear market… TJR the uptick rule shouldn’t be reinstated to “save” anything. The dot coms crashed because they deserved to- there were too many and there was a lot of hype. The uptick rule slows down the decline, decreases the volatility, and prevents bear raids. If you think it doesn’t work then what’s your problem with reinstating it? Why not just bring it back?