Master of Applied Finance/CFA

null&nuller: I hope you were still a co-owner when Kaplan bought out Tribeca in 2006 for $55 million! go the Dockers!

yep. IPO’d it in 2000, then Kaplan did take-over in 06. I still had a small share, but it was nice! Then 07 was another huge year (thanks twiggy!) cheers…

FINSIA is very practical and the networking is probably the best in Australia, everyone is working in the industry and the Christmas party is a goldmine. The material was very helpful for my CF M&A job. What do people think about FINSIA overseas, for those who have the qualification has anyone gone and worked overseas, and if so, did FINSIA help in any way (aside from the knowledge)? Cheers

just to recap the earlier discussion. If Macquarie University MAF is waste of time, do you think Oxford Master of Finance and Economic (a partner of CFA program) also a waste of time? I would like to include London Business School Master of Finance. It means that all MSc Finance programs are waster of time, taking CFA + experience is so much better. With due respect, null& nuller and Joey are you a CFA chartered holder?

no i’m not a charterholder - as far as this forum is concerned I’m just another CFA wannabe. I’m doing it in reverse - made money first - now run various funds (VC, PE, trading, long term long, charitiable foundation, properties) - getting CFA now (or trying) just to keep up to date + it’s the global standard. re the value of the various courses, I think we’re going round in circles…the posts are pretty clear… cheers

myreturn008 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > just to recap the earlier discussion. > > If Macquarie University MAF is waste of time, do > you think Oxford Master of Finance and Economic (a > partner of CFA program) also a waste of time? I > would like to include London Business School > Master of Finance. It means that all MSc Finance > programs are waster of time, taking CFA + > experience is so much better. > > With due respect, null& nuller and Joey are you a > CFA chartered holder? If a program tries to draw legitimacy for their Master Program by being associated with the CFAI in any way, shape or form, I would take that as a negative signal. They have to be able to offer more than simply covering the curriculum that most people can master with very little help (see DVDs or seminars).

mo34 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > myreturn008 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > just to recap the earlier discussion. > > > > If Macquarie University MAF is waste of time, > do > > you think Oxford Master of Finance and Economic > (a > > partner of CFA program) also a waste of time? I > > would like to include London Business School > > Master of Finance. It means that all MSc > Finance > > programs are waster of time, taking CFA + > > experience is so much better. > > > > With due respect, null& nuller and Joey are you > a > > CFA chartered holder? > That would be charterholder and I have been for quite some time, i.e., since not just before there were DVD CFA seminars but since before there were DVD’s.

The one that pulled out of Singapore is UNSW not Macquarie University. Information is incorrectly posted here by one of the forum members.

I still wouldnt do the course :slight_smile:

I was the poster re singapore. Not sure about UNSW, but Macq abandoned its main postgrad program midstream in 2005 and caused a lot of problems… see below. It was their MBA program, but the whole reputation of Macq suffered - leaving students stranded, commitment to the region, etc, etc. "- June 10, 2005: "The reputation of one of Macquarie University’s top postgraduate degrees is hanging in the balance after a souring of relations with its Singapore partner. "The partner has told the Herald that the agreement between Macquarie and Raffles Campus, which delivers the Macquarie Graduate School of Management’s master of business administration program in Singapore, has collapsed. Students and staff at the offshore campus are in the dark over the future of their jobs and half-finished degrees. "More than 2500 students are enrolled in Macquarie’s graduate management programs in Singapore, Hong Kong and at its two Sydney campuses, in North Ryde and the CBD. The university’s management school is one of the region’s largest external providers of on-site postgraduate management education. see:… http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/University-falls-out-with-Singapore-partner/2005/05/10/1115584961275.html. ps Macq still has a fine reputation in Aust, and no doubt is re-building relationships in the region. cheers.