May is for Mocks? How is everyone doing

Sorry, I shouldn’t use abbreviations, I’m not a fan. CBT - Computer based testing
I am going to purchase the Kaplan mock that simulates the exam day software, was just wondering if you’d used the exam day software when practicing and if so your thoughts

Anyone have the Boston 2021 for share?

Haven’t done it… but now knowing that it’s out theee I think I should… getting a test run with the software and exam style mock( I won’t go as far as wearing a mask in my house though) will be invaluable… don’t need any unknown variables messing me up come test day.

Yeah totally, need every edge available :grin: Very excited to finish!

I took the CBT mock by Kaplan, it seemed fine. Good luck everyone! Since we all got to this final point, we should all pass if we’ve put in the time. Just the final piece of the puzzle here. Cheers.

1 Like

You’ll find the Boston 2021 Mock here;

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1HW8WlHep5bj6lCO_vNCWS4ohqaKkxO17?usp=sharing

Maybe I am an irresponsible dude or you are a crazy nerd (no offence, please) lol but I just finalized practice in ecosystem and now will do only 2-3 mocks. I think doing so much mocks does not add any value, knowing the material is much more important.

Sure, maybe… Hope you’re very comfortable answering AMs. There’s a reason why L3 is regarded as harder than L2 and it’s not content. I would argue that knowing how to write the AM portion of the exam is more than half the battle. Good luck.

I have scored 85% in ecosystem but percentile ranking is barely 60%. Previously, during L2, I scored about 65% but that score put me much higher, close to 63-65 percentile. Probably all candidates overprepared this time and your strategy of overpreparing is better. However I also hope that I won’t regret not doing additional 10 mocks (like if I could if I wished). Good luck to you too!

not sure how representative the percentile ranking is for the ecosystem this year since they dumped in all the BB questions. During L1/L2 I scored around 70% on the topic tests, did 10 mocks and scored in the top 10 percentile. Yes, I overprepared especially given the two deferrals. I’m very motivated to get this thing done. Hopefully your prep gets you over the bar. As long as you feel comfortable when answering the AMs on the mocks, should be fine… I use the mocks as a way to identify weak areas, fill in gaps, replicate how questions could be asked in different formats and get used to speed/timing. I would agree that you don’t learn that much more content when doing mocks, so if you don’t know the content and are just doing piles of mocks that wouldn’t be a good strategy and will probably reflect poor marks on the mocks. More of a conditioning tool so if you know all your stuff well and can apply it maybe doing more mocks isn’t that much value add.

Yeah, but what is point in identifying weak points when there are only 4-5 days left? I get when one does mocks 1 month prior to exam when there is plenty of time to work on spotted weakness but doing much mocks right before the exam and identifying weaknesses will just reduce the morale as it is impossible to fix them anyway in 4 days. In my opinion, last day practices should focus on cementing the existing knowledge, acquiring new knowledge is meaningless.

I have broken AM by type of questions and reworking the AM questions in each category. I am done with this tomorrow, and I will re-do a PM mock tomorrow and do ethics topic test remaining time. After this I will have re-worked 8 mock AMs, and 2 mock PMs.

You want to go into the exam when you are peaking. If you sit around too long then you are going to go in cold. I don’t think that is the way I am approaching it. Friday start winding down and reviewing final topics bang out some topic test ethics questions like 20 of them. Review all GIPS/Ethics questions asked in the PM mocks that I have taken. Review GIPs in my Schweser secret sauce. Review flaschards friday - go over behavioral bias’ one last time to read how to over come each individual one. Re-read prospect theory and bounded rationality. Re-read loose/fiscal and the effect on int rates and real rates.

Read over formula sheet. All friday. Saturday go through flash cards get a good breakfast, maybe redo a performance eval question right before the exam like an IS question. Go into the exam hot. Anything you have tripped up that you knew in the practice exams you should revisit those things the day before the exam. You want to have those things straight going into the exam

1 Like

I’m following a similar approach to you… more review and practice less mocks…

I’ve done 1 mock so far(this past Saturday)to gauge where I’m at and give me a kick in the arse. Will do 2 two more AM portions, then Kaplan cbt on Sunday.

I disagree with your sentiment though. You can learn a tonne in 4 days. My last 4 days, I’ve went through derivatives, fixed income and am almost through PWM in Kaplan, whilst doing all questions.

In a day you could go through all of fixed income which is worth 15-20 pct on the exam. There’s tonnes to be gained from reviewing, relearning concepts.

Just my 2C

After practicing AM mocks - my PM score goes up. The more I tighten up my AM the more my PM goes up. I only need to do like 1 PM on Friday and review the old PMs to do a refresher PM or do the PM late tomorrow.

Just did the Kaplan CBT Mock. V1

I did not like that format at all for the morning paper. After getting consitent 70’s in the AM Mocks. My computer based was a 54. PM session was still a 70, so I’m suspecting mainly a format issue.

I find the ordering of the questions are backwards, and it’s so tough to quickly find information, in that narrow little section where the case is presented.

Time management is a much bigger issue, since its harder to find the info you’re looking for.

Anybody else have similiar issues,thoughts or fixes for the issues mentioned above?

Half hoping for an answer, half just wanting to vent… That’s a major buzzkill with 2 days to go before the exam.

Here’s my advice to you all on the last day. Get all the answers from all mock exams and just read them. A lot will stick. Read the answers just allows you to cover more things in a very relaxed way.

I passed just got the exam result for May 2021 - wanted to post on this thread for any other people referencing this thread.

2 Likes

Passed, felt well prepared for the exam. Finished AM with 20 minutes extra and 30 minutes for the PM. IMO was a shorter exam than previous years. Felt the actual exam was easier than the mocks I did. Over and out.

2 Likes

Congrats man! Glad you passed.

1 Like

Also passed 3 for 3, only place I’ll get to gloat about this so this was fun :call_me_hand: