maybe CAIA or CMT next

So, CAIA just seems like less info to understand. Seems like a relatively easy exam to study for in like a month or so. Anyone take this and think it was doable and about how many hours does it take?

I did level I of the CMT exam. I thought it was a cake walk, but lots of reading. I think it’s pretty fascinating and am considering doing level II in October. CFA gives you the broad picture. CMT gives you a cross reference of when to trade.

FRM-I in Nov is next.

Why do CAIA? Not really necessary.

I don’t understand what’s the value added of a CAIA. Do hedge funds really care about this examination? Would you get a job with a CAIA desigination versus another candidate that didn’t have it?

I don’t know how you guys could face more studying?

I think the value of cfa is diminished with these other gimmick designations

Agree gringo… I did CAIA level 1 in September after passing CFA Level II last june. Pretty manageable… probably studied 80 hrs or so. Would probably be even less for a level III candidate b/c you’ve had even more alternatives studying.

But yeah, I’m not signing up for the September CAIA Level II Exam. Just no motivation whatsoever. Maybe in March…

For those who’ve just taken L3 and now thinking of doing these other certifications back to back, are you guys employed in the industry or looking to break in and hoping this will do?

Personally I’m done with studying.

My circumstanses: 37 years old, worked in industry for 12 years, wife, 2 kids.

I think it all depends on you perspective regarding future development. The CFA is great as an entry level qualification, but let’s be honest, who reaaly thinks a newly minted Charterholder has the tools to manage an Equity portfolio on thier own, never mind FI.

Other qualifications offer the opportunity to delve deeper into a given subject, something which personally I lack the discipline to do without some form of test at the end to motivate me to do it properly (i.e. not just skim the book and look at the pictures).

It may not be for you, you may not need to do it, but respect for those who are willing to go further and improve their knowledge.

And for those of you who argue the aditional qualifications won’t help you get a job, I’m not certain the CFA will either. Experience will alwas trump a qualification as will a willingness to go the extra mile.

Clever, unless you feel it gives someone who is breaking in or has less experience an edge over you, I wouldnt commit the time. Most of the times, the answer will be no but it depends on your situation.

Personally, I may look into CMT or CFP for my own development in terms of managing my portfolio and my family members. Careerwise, I think CFA does it for me. Im 33, about 10+ years of experience in banking and dont feel I even need the CFA but it was a supplement to my MBA from a non Ivy school.

Good Luck.

Yeah…CAIA next. I no don’t live/work in the West so no access (or relevance) with regards to top-tier MBAs. The CAIA will de me quite well given how easy it is too. I’m 29, CA. 8 yrs banking experience. My L3 results will be voided (PCP investigation I likely won’t win) so I might as well do the CAIA to alleviate the pain.

I’m 32 yo, work in commercial real estate finance (a REIT for those of you in the West). The CFA looks good but it doesn’t get me a job. Most people in my industry barely know what a CFA is much less a CAIA. With the CFA, they just think he must be “really smart” and a hard worker. (which btw: you don’t have to be very smart to be a CFA).

Most of the Real Estate curriculum in the CFA texts (mainly Level 2) was bogus. That’s NOT how real estate companies evaulate deals etc. I don’t even know what the CFA Level 3 curriculum was trying to do on Real Estate. That section in AI could have been written much better. The CFA never spent the time on Real Estate.

I would maybe consider the CAIA if it were one test. I can’t imagine doing two for something that would do me no good career wise.

Yeah I agree that they tend to dimiish the credibility of the CFA in my eyes. I’m sure the others are good programs, but they the bottom line is when you try to put those on your name it just looks like it says “some other credential that’s not the CFA”.

I do have the feeling that there will be a bit of CFA withdrawal. For as much as it messes with your life, it definitely adds a level of excitement to your life and makes you realize you can accomplish a lot in yfree time.

Yeah I agree that they tend to dimiish the credibility of the CFA in my eyes. I’m sure the others are good programs, but they the bottom line is when you try to put those on your name it just looks like it says “some other credential that’s not the CFA”.

I do have the feeling that there will be a bit of CFA withdrawal. For as much as it messes with your life, it definitely adds a level of excitement to your life and makes you realize you can accomplish a lot in yfree time.

Not too many people outside of PM/PE/AM/ER know what the CFA is.

The CFP is loaded with Estate/Trust subjects, while useful, it’s overkill for personal financial planning.

All the others designations are icing on the cake, but not going to impress anyone, and can be perceived as a negative.

Same. I’m early on in my career, only 25 y.o, have a non-MBA masters degree and no desire to get an MBA. I believe I’m on a good career trajectory and don’t think any of those certs have any real marginal value.

itera would never hire any of you zips

Most accountants know what the CFA is, FWIW. CFP is pretty meh in my opinion, I passed but haven’t applied to use the credentials. I studied it for about 1.5 months and passed with flying colors. Mind you I have a MS Tax and worked in high net worth tax so I had a leg up on the tax/estate/trust areas.