Mazda gas engine to work without spark plugs

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-mazda-strategy-idUSKBN1AO0E7

“The new compression ignition engine is 20 percent to 30 percent more fuel efficient than the Japanese automaker’s current engines and uses a technology that has eluded the likes of Daimler AG and General Motors Co.”

“A homogeneous charge compression ignition (HCCI) engine ignites petrol through compression, eliminating spark plugs. Its fuel economy potentially matches that of a diesel engine without high emissions of nitrogen oxides or sooty particulates.”

Huh? Isn’t this a huge deal? This is coming from Mazda: a mainstream automaker, not some niche company whose products few people can afford. A 30% increase in fuel economy should have material impact on gasoline demand and set back EV advancement by years.

Mazda was one of the first companies to bring to market a car with a rotary engine, so they have some history of major innovation.

That sounds like a diesel engine to me, maybe they perfected a way to do the same with conventional gas rather than diesel, who knows?

From zoom-zoom to boom-boom.

I wonder if this is part of their plant deal with Toyota that is supposedly for EVs.

Bad news for those of us who work in the oil patch.

I had a Mazda, really nice car. If I had a need to purchase a vehicle I would certainly give them points for the car I have before.

What model? I had a 626 with such constant transmission problems that I’ve despised Mazda for over a decade. I’ve just recently become willing to look at Mazdas again.

I had a Mazda 6, was 2007 got it a few years old in like 2009 or 2010ish had quite a few miles on it and I put a beating on it and serious issue I ever had was the catalytic converter that needed replaced and ran fine after. Sorry to hear your problems! Convinced my mom to get a Mazda 3 hatchback which she loves and my gf liked it as well and got a Mazda 3 which has had no issues (although admittedly she doesnt drive it much)