MBA from Ivy League School

anyone here have a MBA from an ivy league school or wanting to attempt to pursue one? I’m really considering an attempt to break into a ivy league school. Please share your thoughts and experiences

my long term goal but i think it must be much more difficult than just passing the cfa exams

Just wondering if anyone has thought about building up there resumes, working to build a charity foundation, or look for leadership roles in the community. Possibly starting a fund with couple guys at work etc ivy league schools have so much competition now a days from around the world, we really have to stand out from the rest.

Yeah, I’m interested. I attended an info session for Columbia and Wharton. The program directors were relatively impressed about being an L3 candidate. Any idea how guys/girls like us fare in the GMAT? I don’t think there is anything you can do right now to improve your chances for getting into an MBA like building a charity. Those traits have to come from way before. Pure finance guys DO make it in, but I think you need a killer GMAT score, and some world knowledge - languages, different experiences, etc…

taking a 10 week GMAT course this summer instead of taking nights and weekends off of studying. Failed band 10. I’m going to apply to a few schools this fall as a backup If I can’t get a finance job by next spring. GMAT can be really difficult. Gotta put in the time if you’re like me

Real conversation between my boss and very drunk, female American research analyst (and hot by all accounts) at an investment conference in Monte Carlo: My boss: You got the CFA? Drunk analyst (with disdain): Nah, the CFA is for those that didn’t go to the right business school. So there you have it… My two cents: MBA is better for investment banking, CFA for investment management

mpreskett Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Real conversation between my boss and very drunk, > female American research analyst (and hot by all > accounts) at an investment conference in Monte > Carlo: > > My boss: You got the CFA? > > Drunk analyst (with disdain): Nah, the CFA is for > those that didn’t go to the right business > school. > > So there you have it… > > My two cents: MBA is better for investment > banking, CFA for investment management amazing, isn’t it. It says it all, perception and networking are often more important than brains and skills. One thing I want to mention. I know that it’s not easy to get in an IVY league school but sometimes you can get surprised. I used to work in a big 4 company in NYC and we had a guy who was quite dense. Everyone joked about him and he was fired because of underperformance. Now, 5 years later he is at Harvard for his MBA and everyone is wondering how he got in. This is a real story.

After failing level III, I started to studying for GMAT to make me feel better. Hope I get 700+ to prove that I’m not that stupid…Anyway, it’s a completely different beast…I am contemplating to appying Booth and Wharton.

mpreskett Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Real conversation between my boss and very drunk, > female American research analyst (and hot by all > accounts) at an investment conference in Monte > Carlo: > > My boss: You got the CFA? > > Drunk analyst (with disdain): Nah, the CFA is for > those that didn’t go to the right business > school. > > So there you have it… > > My two cents: MBA is better for investment > banking, CFA for investment management This was an utterly useless post. MBA > CFA because the drunk person said so, in a 10 second conversation of 2 people?

Confucius : Ppl say truth when drunk…:stuck_out_tongue:

iteracom Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > mpreskett Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Real conversation between my boss and very > drunk, > > female American research analyst (and hot by > all > > accounts) at an investment conference in Monte > > Carlo: > > > > My boss: You got the CFA? > > > > Drunk analyst (with disdain): Nah, the CFA is > for > > those that didn’t go to the right business > > school. > > > > So there you have it… > > > > My two cents: MBA is better for investment > > banking, CFA for investment management > > > This was an utterly useless post. MBA > CFA > because the drunk person said so, in a 10 second > conversation of 2 people? in the OPs defense, it was a hot drunk person

…besides if a uni course operates on as shallow a level as CFA…the MBA cant be that good i think!!

Guys how the certifications like CFA and FRM can help to get into a top notch B-school …considering a decent GMAT score…can nybody throw some light on this…

vaibhav.tcs Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Guys how the certifications like CFA and FRM can > help to get into a top notch B-school > …considering a decent GMAT score…can nybody > throw some light on this… err, helps you differentiate your application from the scores of other people applying for the program. prolly also shows dedication, commitment and a clear focus on where you wanna go. with the no.of people doing the CFA now, the “differentiator” part may not be as valid though.

My 2 cents from researching how the CFA can help: It may help you if you have low quant scores on the GMAT but besides that I wouldn’t spend too much time on thinking it’s a golden ticket. The vast majority of people entering top business programs are not charterholders nor do they aspire to ever be. Also, you have to remember that you will be evaluated on several criteria so you probably don’t want to spend too much time harping on how many hours you spent bent over your CFA texts because your competition is explaining how he started his own tech company in asia while supporting his sick family while getting an enginering degree from Stanford - at least that is what you will see for competition at top Ivys. I know people at Wharton and Columbia that are extremely bright and trust me, passing these exams would not be that challenging for the caliber of people that get into these schools. The point - don’t think having a charter or being a candidate is going to add much to the application unless you can specifically apply to a meaningful story in your essays or if your GMAT is under a 700 and your quant scores is somewhat questionable. But again, that’s what I have picked up through combing various forums for the past 12 months. GMATCLUB.com has a really good breakdown of the CFA and MBA app process.

How would you all recommend preparing for application to a top MBA program? I am contemplating applying to HBS. Obviously a long-shot, but no hurt in trying. Would anyone recommend hiring one of those MBA admissions consultants? Also, how much impact does GMAT bootcamp have on ones score from the first time they take it without practice, to when they take the real thing? Any other tips would be greatly appreciated.

giuls21 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > How would you all recommend preparing for > application to a top MBA program? I am > contemplating applying to HBS. Obviously a > long-shot, but no hurt in trying. > > Would anyone recommend hiring one of those MBA > admissions consultants? Also, how much impact does > GMAT bootcamp have on ones score from the first > time they take it without practice, to when they > take the real thing? Any other tips would be > greatly appreciated. Contact Numi.

I have to agree with an MBA > CFA only if your coming out of a top 5 B-School. Reason for that is, all the big time firms are recruiting from those schools and gives you the best opportunity to pursue a successful career. Makes job searching a lot easier for those people. It seems like these schools look for people with unique backgrounds and childhoods. Successful careers so far and killer GPA’s and GMAT scores. I thinking that with 4-5 months of studying and effort, a 700+ GMAT is possible?

Monte_Carlo Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I know people at Wharton and Columbia that are > extremely bright and trust me, passing these exams > would not be that challenging for the caliber of > people that get into these schools. > More the reason to take the exams, no? The opportunity cost would be very low. The average Columbia or Wharton grad wouldn’t even need to crack a book, so you are looking at three Saturdays of their lives for a solid objective credential. I’m getting a little tired of grape Kool-Aid. I might try orange.

Point of this topic though… If there were things or ideas that people can start to accomplish now, in prep to apply for b-school in upcoming years…