MBA in an ivy league !

hey … have got a question for u guys … i have registered for level 2 and got admission for MBA ( fin ) in lets say not an ivy league … also i have zero work experience and will start working this december should i start my mba next fall ( in a univ which is nt the best but is known in the NY circle ) or get like 5 yrs exp and then try to get into any ivy league … plzzz help me here !!! im soooooo confused !!!

i know dudes from fordham that run serious dough, i know guys from iveys that do nothing. it depends on your career goals. I say start the job, stick in for 1-3 yrs, then go to a real MBA program. get the CFA before b school and when you come out you will be hotter than my laundry that just came out, papa

I would work for a couple of years first if I were you. I thought the guys in my MBA program who didn’t have work experience were basically worthless. Most had nothing substantive to contribute to the program, which cheapened the experience for the rest of us since that’s a big part of any MBA program. I don’t think they got as much out of it either, an experience base is invaluable. On the other hand, if it’s just a piece of paper you want, then you’ll get that. I agree with Daj about tackling the CFA first. Especially since you’re already on L2. See what you can do about starting in fall 2010, after you’ve taken L3 … I think that would be a great schedule. Also, if you can do Ivy, do it. I went to a state school because of the tuition (or lack thereof) and it was top 30. I regretted not trying to go to a higher ranked school when it came time for recruiting. I agree with Daj that there are Ivy folk who haven’t done anything with their MBA, but for those that are a little more motivated, the networks among those schools are really, really strong and should be tapped if at all possible.

ok … what if i stick to the CFA schedule … i am giving level 2 in 2009 ! and start my masters in finance instead of mba … coz i can make a switch … since it has less credits … it wouldnt cost that much and also after some work experience i can get into a better mba prog ! you see the country where i come from … u need to do ur masters before you turn 25 and i need to have something substainal in my hand to show what im doing to the folks back home … who says culture doesnt confuse you and your goals ! plus im married and wanna start a family but dont wanna do that till im done with my studies ! anyway thank u guys for the input u know what fordham has the top 10 ranking in the part time progs in US … its really really good ! cheers

Do people who write stuff like that ^ actually get into and graduate from Ivy League business schools?

Yeah seriously. What school did you get into? A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. Getting into an Ivy isn’t easy and if you got into a lower ranked school, I don’t see how working a few years will drastically help you unless you do something amazing in the meantime. I still think if you want to get an MBA, you should do as the others have mentioned… work for now and complete the CFA program and then apply and hopefully you’ll get into a better school. If it’s an Ivy, great. If not, great. Good luck.

!

Do people who write stuff like that ^ actually get into and graduate from Ivy League business schools? what is that supposed to mean … what sort of people get into ivy league … its not rocket science … u need to have a excellent undergrad gpa, gmat and substainal work experience ! and what do u find so particularly sooooo "un ivy league " in my post … what that i am married or i want to have a family ??

beejeea Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Do people who write stuff like that ^ actually get > into and graduate from Ivy League business > schools? > > > what is that supposed to mean … > what sort of people get into ivy league … > its not rocket science … > u need to have a excellent undergrad gpa, gmat and > substainal work experience ! > > and what do u find so particularly sooooo "un ivy > league " in my post … > what that i am married or i want to have a family > ?? and they need legible english too!^4

ivy league hates people who want to have babies… it’s true. sorry.

beejeea Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Do people who write stuff like that ^ actually get > into and graduate from Ivy League business > schools? > > > what is that supposed to mean … > what sort of people get into ivy league … > its not rocket science … > u need to have a excellent undergrad gpa, gmat and > substainal work experience ! > > and what do u find so particularly sooooo "un ivy > league " in my post … > what that i am married or i want to have a family > ?? Your posts look like you have about one neuron doing the heavy lifting.

sounds like lazy-slur talking to me. all jokes aside, definitely finish your cfa program and get some more years of experience before applying. also, don’t forget to ace the gmat.

Hahaha. My advice would be to not write your essays in the same manner that you write your posts. That issue aside, I’d work a few years, pass the CFA, ace the GMAT, and then go to the best school that will accept you. MBA’s are forever…more so than jobs, cars, friends, wives, tattoos…you name it. Once you have it, you can’t go back.

funny cfasf1 … guess than ivy leagues will have to deal with babies and u joey seem like a big bright ray of sunshine !!! and ohhh im still weeping abt the one neuron remark … that was succccccccchh an intellectual comeback

i’ve got a kid. explains why i went to a public university.

I would work for a couple of years. -According to my experience, there comes a point after which studying without having anything concrete to relate it to has not so much value. That point is an Undergrad. -Studying again, like for example an MBA after a couple of years of real work, then is something that will make your mind flourish, because you can link the theoretical concepts with concrete experience. Just my 0.02.

BTW, can you even get into an MBA program without 2 years of work experience ? I guess these days for one legit program you have 20 rubbish ones, from 1 semester condensed programs to e-learning Wall-mart ones.

hey … thanks for the input job hunting in finance in NY is crazy right now specially at entry level ! and by the way have’nt u people ever chatted or blogged before … back off about my writting skills … do u guys prepare your professional reports using the language that you use in your posts ? …so obviously i would not write my essay with a thousand exclamation marks and “…” okay i got into Seton Hall, Pace and St Johns …dont think that they are anywhere near the e-learning wallmart ones… Dirty Z what you dont realize is that i am the wife … and i want to have a career and a family and yes i do think its possible being a woman ! Cfaafs1 …atleast you can encourage people to aim high …i really dont think that ivy leagues can discrimate against ambitious mothers ! I got married when i was 19 … yes 19 … i did my undergrad from the best school in my country, was in the first 10 of my batch … got an excellent job in the biggest investment bank in my country but had to come to NY to be with my husband, gave my level 1 after 4 months of studying …passed it and finally have actively started job searching since im getting my work permit in novemeber . So yes i think i can get into an Ivy league after actively working for 7 or more years having a family along with me during the whole journey …if my mother can do it … so can i !

>So yes i think i can get into an Ivy league after actively working >for 7 or more years having a family along with me during the whole >journey …if my mother can do it … so can i ! I can dig the can-do attitude. These guys are right though, the Ivy folk are not really into expressing themselves through substandard grammar and excessive ellipses. It’s just a disconnect for some of us to see you write in your blogified style about dreams of Harvard and Dartmouth. I stand by my advice that working a while, acing the GMAT, and shooting for the highest ranked program that you can get into is best - maybe ivy, since you’re in the northeast. I’m in the south and for what it’s worth, nobody down here has heard of Pace or St. Johns, and the only time Seton Hall comes up is maybe in a basketball discussion. Best of luck with whatever choice you make.

beejea, had no idea you were a woman. now i feel bad because i think i remember you from some other thread when were talking about “giving” vs “taking” the exam and that devolved into giving beejeas. i feel horribly sexist. just as a rule of thumb. you can take about 40% of what i post here as being serious. good luck on your applications. am i being too nice now? treating you with the sarah palin kiddie gloves?