MBA or cont to work?

So I was dead set on entering a MBA program in fall 2009. I went to a ton of open houses in the fall and retook gmat. So I applied and got into the program I wanted to. Question I have is fairly simple… I am in a good field right now and things are looking great for my firm. I am doubting leaving that for two years of school and some debt only to not be in the same spot again. Do others have this feeling with leaving to start grad school?

one word … DON’T! dont leave for full time school. not worth it in todays time, why don’t you go part time?

You answered your own question: NO.

Don;t do it, imagine the competition after graduation.

Unless Top 10… Probably not a good time to be giving up steady income

I am not worried about the comp after grad… i am more worried about the job I am in and the job I could be in two years from now without mba

Going for full time program is equivalent to a long call Going for part time program is equivalent to a bull call spread (buy call@lower K+short call@higher K) So going for full time will give u higher upside potential but without delta/theta hedged.

What do you do currently?

How much will the MBA cost you personally? I mean money coming out of your pocket rather than from your parents or the like? Are you giving up earnings to do this? Better stay employed if that is the case, experience will count double once this recession/depression has run it’s course. You should be accumulating as much cash as you can in my opinion, you might need it.

deltatrader Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Going for full time program is equivalent to a > long call > Going for part time program is equivalent to a > bull call spread (buy call@lower K+short > call@higher K) > > So going for full time will give u higher upside > potential but without delta/theta hedged. I understand the delta hedge in that aspect, but can you explain the justication for the theta hedge.

One of the most stupid things you may do now is to leave a good job (with prospects and earnings) and become an MBA student (with explicit and implicit costs). Even thinking thoroughly, you will likely not be able to generate a more stupid idea (considering state of economy and outlook, of course). On the other hand, if your MBA studies are 100% financed by your current employer and you won’t need to pay for it, it might be a slightly different story.

Only do the MBA, when you want to change your career. I know someone, who was VP at DB and BoA (Trading) and did his MIT MBA to get rid of trading. He just wanted to do something different than banking. He did a summer associate at McK, but now after graduation he only came back to a HF as trader again. so these market circumstances can be really killing you!

Will your firm pay you MBA fees? If they will then go for it. If not, then it’s a much trickier call. Do you think you would hit a glass ceiling in your firm in a couple of years if you didn’t have an MBA?

Given you are under 30 years of age - If i were you then i’ll go for the MBA.

Have you considered EMBA?

would be helpful to know if its a top school, what your aspirations are post-mba and what you are looking to get out of it, if you can get there with a p-t mba… i’m probably about a year behind your situation. i plan to apply this fall to enter in '10. if i don’t get into my shortlist of 3 schools i’ll probably continue at my current firm and industry which i enjoy very much. i have the same concern that when i come out i might not be able to get back in given all the displaced talent out there and changes that have taken place.

I would stay where you are and go part time if that’s an option. You continue building your work experience in a good field at a strong firm and build your personal qualifications at the same time. And if your employer chips in at all that’s a plus.

I’m leaving a good job w/ prospects for an MBA this fall. I want a small career change, private buyside to public buyside.