MBA Programs

I was wondering if anybody here are have been accepted to (or graduated from) wharton, chicago, stanford, or columbia for their MBA program? I have couple of questions and was wondering if you guys can help me out here: 1. what should I be doing in the next 2-3 years (planning to apply then) to better my chances of getting accepted. 2. what factors are most important and in what order? i.e. GMAT scores, work experience, undergrad GPA, etc… 3. what did you like about the program? specifically, i want to “re-learn” my finance through wharton’s way, or chicago’s way, etc. how’s the curriculum like? (besides what is publically available) My background: I had 2 years of actuarial experience with 2 exams under my belt (not planning on finishing unless the designation proves vital later on) and 1 year of investment consulting experience. I’m a candidate for both CAIA and CFA and plan to finish hopefully by 2010. I had a horrible undergraduate record, but after college kind of redeemed myself (i’m much more diligent/dedicated/disciplined now). I would like to get at least a 760 on my GMATs; i can score about 720s-750s right now. Given the time I have, this might be achievable. I’m not the best writer, so I will also need to work on my essays. Thanks in advance!

Adalfu, I’m interested to hear what advice folks have for you. I’m in a similar situation - 1.5 yrs actuarial consulting, 2 actuarial exams, currently working as an investment analyst and sitting for CFA I this Dec. I’m also considering other options down the line like MA econ, but want to keep an open mind. I would worry that for folks like us, who have decent but not stellar experience, that the out of work folks with a couple years’ exp @ I-banks would be applying in droves and making it harder to get in. Of course for me this is all a couple years away, if at all, but it is a little worrisome.

i did not go to those schools, but went to a ranked one. i think you guys are makng great steps and def have a shot. i know people with bad undergrad who still got in after smoking the gmat and having good leadership experience. write good essays and have someone go over that essay with you. the admissions officers have just about seen anything.

thanks for the info daj. btw, I’m going to the QS World MBA Tour in downtown LA this upcoming Sunday. I’m planning on talking to couple of folks from the admission staff + the alumni. (Sadly, it doesn’t seem like Chicago and Wharton will be there – at least I didn’t see them on the list; however, most of the other top programs will be there, including some international schools). Whatever info I get, i’ll relay them here for those who are interested. Feel free to leave any comments then.

Pox Americana Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I would worry that for folks like us, who have > decent but not stellar experience, that the out of > work folks with a couple years’ exp @ I-banks > would be applying in droves and making it harder > to get in. Of course for me this is all a couple > years away, if at all, but it is a little > worrisome. Ibankers are not your direct competition. Their jobs are considered more prestigious than actuarial work (for better or worse), but they are a dime a dozen in the b-school app process. I think being an actuary will actaully help you stand out. You still need to be a strong candidate, but it seems like a plus to me.

Dont forget, regardless of what school you go to, you cant go wrong with mgmt experience and have a variety of experience/success across the board (leadership, community involvement, etc). I think CFA and other exams will help very little. I have actually considered to do an MBA at some point, but want to work on my language skills and CFA first. Plus I rather like my job so not ready to leave.