MBA Question

My last day of employment is 10/17. The question I have is regarding the applications I’m working on for b school. Should I submit the applications prior to 10/17 so I do not need to list an end date for my current employer? My fear is the fact I’m layed off will negatively effect the perception of the admissions team for my reason for applying.

ditchdigger2CFA Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > My last day of employment is 10/17. The question > I have is regarding the applications I’m working > on for b school. Should I submit the applications > prior to 10/17 so I do not need to list an end > date for my current employer? > > My fear is the fact I’m layed off will negatively > effect the perception of the admissions team for > my reason for applying. I should think they’d be understanding given recent history, but as many folks have pointed out, top program slots seem to go to people who seem like they don’t need it. I’d say don’t rush the application if the other components aren’t ready, but if its done and sitting on your shelf, then today would be a good day to mail it.

It is done and on my shelf for the most part. Essays are almost done and a editor I know said she could help me with them next week, after the 17th. Letters of recommendation are still at large as well. Since I have some free time, I’ll see if they care to go to lunch next week to talk more about it.

Then again, assuming you make interviews, the fact is going to come out. Might be better to look like you were open and honest, rather than a shyster.

dlpicket Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Then again, assuming you make interviews, the fact > is going to come out. Might be better to look like > you were open and honest, rather than a shyster. Great point. While I don’t see this as a huge negative since plenty of people are layed off, I only have 2 years of work experience. It’s a bit slim and I just hope the fact that not having a job at the moment won’t kill me.

I’ve got 3 years, but I’m thinking about sitting out one more year to dodge the banker-boom. I write financial software though, so maybe adcoms would like to talk to a geek instead of yet another laid off banker (no offense). Banker-boom: (n) A dramatic increase in Top 20 MBA applicants following major layoffs by Investment Banks. you heard it here first.

LOL. I’m not a banker. The market squeeze has hit asset managers now. AUM shrunk to the point that people needed to be layed off.

Send it out soon so you don’t have to show termination of employment on your resume.

I am applying right now. For certain schools you have to update them if your resume or employment status changes so if you act as though everything is honkey dorey and all of a sudden you say well outta no where I got dinged… may not look good

Yeah, it’s best to stay honest (or upfront); i think it’s worst if they find out at the end and you didn’t have your resume updated.

boom will last 2 app cycles…just go when you are ready to go and let the cards fall. top schools will be very picky this year, but there will be many top candidates that are unemployed. have a good story, a good attitude, and be able to show how you are using your time productively.

Thanks guys. I have been in touch with one of the directors at my church. I’m planning to take a considerable amount of time with volunteering opportunities.

I’m thinking that next year business school admissions may be even more competitive… Good luck with yours dude As long as deal flow is slow here, I plan to go balls-to-the-wall with GMAT studying and MBA appliations

Be upfront about it. It won’t “hurt” your candidacy all that much. But it would hurt in bucketloads if they found out you lied.