MBA vs CFA

I am a HUGE CHIEFS FAN!!!

I find all pro sports pretty uninteresting, in part because each league seems to me to be nothing more than a single big entertainment business. The playing field (in a figurative sense) is so level generally speaking that you’re likely over time to just see whatever team you follow win the title in 1/n seasons (n being the number of teams in the league) and otherwise have a 1/n share of all the success, which is a pretty uninteresting outcome to me. It seems even less interesting where, as in lajor league baseball, the playing field (in a figurative sense) is fixed, but unequal. None of this is true in college sports I think because of the larger number of teams, the conferences being independent of one another and the different resurces of the schools, etc.

Being a fan of the pro sports franchise in your particular city seems to me about like being a fan of, say, Federal Express because you live in Memphis, or being a fan of the local McDonald’s franchises rather than those in other places.

Captain Windjammer Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I find all pro sports pretty uninteresting, in > part because each league seems to me to be nothing > more than a single big entertainment business. > The playing field (in a figurative sense) is so > level generally speaking that you’re likely over > time to just see whatever team you follow win the > title in 1/n seasons (n being the number of teams > in the league) and otherwise have a 1/n share of > all the success, which is a pretty uninteresting > outcome to me. It seems even less interesting > where, as in lajor league baseball, the playing > field (in a figurative sense) is fixed, but > unequal. None of this is true in college sports I > think because of the larger number of teams, the > conferences being independent of one another and > the different resurces of the schools, etc. At least NFL teams don’t pretend that their functionally illiterate players are “student athletes.” I’ll take the NFL’s hollowness over the NCAA’s hypocricacy.

Captain Windjammer Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Being a fan of the pro sports franchise in your > particular city seems to me about like being a fan > of, say, Federal Express because you live in > Memphis, or being a fan of the local McDonald’s > franchises rather than those in other places. Agree. These guys are only in it for the money, the NCAA guys just want to play, much more fun to watch for me. I just which the crappy Big10 would let a +1 system or any kind of playoff take place.

Captain Windjammer Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I find all pro sports pretty uninteresting I like college and pro football. I like the NBA but I don’t like NCAA bball. Not all pro teams are the same and I don’t think liking a pro team is equivalent to liking the particular mcd’s in your area over others. c’mon. And not all teams share the same successes. Some franchises consistently perform well and others consistently perform poorly (e.g. Celtics/Lakers, Steelers, etc.). I like my college football team b/c it’s my alma mater, so I went there and lived there. I like the Lakers b/c I was born and raised in LA. To me, it’s the same kind of feeling. (I actually don’t like the Lakers right now b/c of Kobe, but that’s another topic for another day.)

Leaving aside Kobe, I stand by my assertion that your feelings about the Lakers are exactly like mine about my local McDonald’s.

Captain Windjammer Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Leaving aside Kobe, I stand by my assertion that > your feelings about the Lakers are exactly like > mine about my local McDonald’s. I would not go as far as calling it McD but it’s close. I remember when I came first to this country the Browns moved from Cleveland to Baltimore and I had no idea what’s going on. It’s like Barcelona FC moving to Paris because they built a new stadium there. There is no loyalty in pro teams in the US, it’s a business they will move for a dollar.