,MBA

Have you guys ever seen anyone use the MBA title after their name on a business card or email? I have been seeing this a lot lately…I mean putting CFA is one thing, but putting MBA after your name seems pretty chotchy.

better than “, Eagle Scout”

It’s been going on for years and years and years and will continue to do so. I don’t think its ‘chotchy’…an MBA doesn’t stand for what it used to, but its still an advanced degree. It’s the same as a MSc. or MiF etc…if you earned it, use it.

Should people start putting BS or BA after their name too? I think putting MBA after your name seems like a bit of a reach. A degree is something that you pay for where as a designation is something that you earn.

BValGuy Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Should people start putting BS or BA after their > name too? I think putting MBA after your name > seems like a bit of a reach. A degree is > something that you pay for where as a designation > is something that you earn. You didn’t earn your undergrad degree? You didn’t pay to take the CFA? Interesting…

MBA is lame. “MBA candidate” is worse. I’d laugh just the same at “MiF” or “MSc”. PhD is just ok, although it’s generally communicated by “Dr. so and so”.

Gotta go with FI analyst on this one…the CFA is another ‘school’ in our system. harder than most, distance ed, but fundamentally it represents a body of knowledge like any other degree or designation. People don’t put BA and BS after their names generally because in business many people have some sort of undergrad degree and a BA or BS isn’t going to set you apart or give you credibility on your card. An MBA gains some credibility and will set you apart from those who have yet to obtain one for whatever reasons. BValGuy - do you have an MBA? CBV? CFA? I’m curious why you’re pondering the validity of putting the MBA letters after your name and what that entails…

I have the following on my business card: “Numi Smith, Master of the Universe” master of the universe beats master of business administration any day if you try this on your own business cards, you can be certain that your clients will always remember you (for better or for worse)

what numi’s saying is it really doesn’t matter what’s on your card cuz at the end of the day its what you produce that matters. however, sometimes in order to have a chance to produce, you need to establish credibility, which is why i argue for advanced degrees to be on cards.

I’ve been eschewing business cards in favor of a little videotape that highlights my intensity and desire.

If you have to remind them of your MBA with a comma, you probably didn’t do a very good job selling it in the first place…

of course people are going to put it on their business cards. I’m just surprised people don’t put, 50 Cent, Harvard MBA, CFA

I’m at the point where I’m considering whether I should put CFA after my name once I get it. Along those lines, what about hanging degrees and charters on the wall at work? Is it as cheezy as the business card?

numi Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I have the following on my business card: > > “Numi Smith, Master of the Universe” > > master of the universe beats master of business > administration any day > if you try this on your own business cards, you > can be certain that your clients will always > remember you (for better or for worse) hilarious

i dont’ see why putting CFA or MBA on your card is cheezy. half the people that do these things do it to show other people anyways.

agreed that mba on a card is lame

I think CFA is legit, it’s a designation and SOP. Yes, you pay for and earn both a CFA and MBA. Look around, 99% of people (who have them) prob use the ,CFA while maybe 1% use the MBA. It’s a matter of etiquette. I don’t have either yet, but I am young and plan on getting both one day. And I will for sure never put MBA on my b-cards or email, but i will put CFA. I just think people that write me emails with MBA attached to their signature are dorks. (IMHO)

clos83 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I think CFA is legit, it’s a designation and SOP. > Yes, you pay for and earn both a CFA and MBA. > Look around, 99% of people (who have them) prob > use the ,CFA while maybe 1% use the MBA. It’s a > matter of etiquette. I don’t have either yet, but > I am young and plan on getting both one day. And > I will for sure never put MBA on my b-cards or > email, but i will put CFA. That’s pretty good dude. Better than me since I am not on track to get the CFA. > I just think people that write me emails with MBA > attached to their signature are dorks. > > (IMHO) I agree. These people have nothing on the guys that actually write “MBA” in permanent marker on their foreheads. If you’re going to roll with the MBA “certification,” you better do it in style.

I think it is just a difference of business custom. Here in Canada, people actually put even BA or B Sc. and MBA, of course. I have never seen “, MBA” in US or in email from US. Maybe “, MBA” disappears in Canada and/or becomes common in US in the future. I would just go with the flow.

"I think it is just a difference of business custom. Here in Canada, people actually put even BA or B Sc. and MBA, of course. I have never seen “, MBA” in US or in email from US. " I’ve never understood this practice, seriously everyone on Bay Street has a B. Comm…why do some put it on the CV? What are thoughts of your title in your e-mail signature, yes or no?