MBA

Hi Guys, I’ve decided to pursue my MBA and put the CFA aside for now (after june). I have an idea of which schools i want to attend (all in Canada). I’ve actually narrowed it down to 2 schools (Schulich and then followed by wilfred laurier). I know that schulich is one of the top business schools but how does it really compare to top schools in the States or even around the world.

Why not Ivey/Rotman?

well Ivey is still an option…I will most likely apply there as well. The reason i prefer schulich and Wilfred laurier is that they both have accelerated programs where i could complete in Toronto (and save a lot of money). I will also apply to Rotman but they don’t have an accelerated program, plus their tuition for a two year program is pretty high. In my opinion schulich is as good as Rotman’s.

You are not buying a happy meal…cheaping out and trying to cut corners on your education may backfire on you. Btw, Ivey’s program is something like 12-months. You can’t get any more accelerated than that.

Ivey’s got the brand and marketing behind it but educationally its no different…- in canada there is no difference between MBAs from ivey schulic, rotman, queens, laurier. they all place grads in high profile positions. And i know of a few shops on bay street that refuse to hire ivey grads because their ego’s don’t justify their skill sets.

Who the F cares about the education anyway? It’s all about brand!

i would go with Rotman anyday…

danteshek - unfortunatly you’re more right than i’d like to be true…the band does matter a lot…in the short term…but only in the short term.

when was laurier considered Ivey league or an elite school?

The short term is what matters most. If I don’t get make it to Relationship or Marketing exec before I’m 32 or so it will never happen and I’ll never make VP etc, partner etc… I’m 26 now. Long term thinking is for chumps when it comes to career planning.

FrankArabia - it might not have the brand that the other schools have but WLU regularly place graduates all over the street. Just like every other canadian MBA school. If you think there’s a difference in education amongst the canadia MBA school you’re wrong. now canadian to american schools - big difference.

Maybe now, but Bay street is run by Ivey grads. You cant really argue that. strikershank Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > FrankArabia - it might not have the brand that the > other schools have but WLU regularly place > graduates all over the street. Just like every > other canadian MBA school. If you think there’s a > difference in education amongst the canadia MBA > school you’re wrong. > > now canadian to american schools - big difference.

There are a lot of ivey grads there - no question about it. and there are a lot of every other school there. also fact. what everyone’s missing is that its not the school that matters in canada, its what you bring to the table. you ability to demonstrate you know your sh*t. And if you know your stuff, you’ll get hired from BO to FO.

schulich is awash w/ resources, thats the best part with regards to the education part I think rotman and schulich are the same. I compared my thoughts with what my friend (from rotman) has to say and its about the same… think about location, cost, and study concentration schulich is all about diversity , innovation, sustainability rotman is all about finance…

both schools are tough as nails to get into…

Hey Parsons I’m actually not cutting corners for my MBA. As strickershank mentioned that the schools mentioned in this post are all basically on the same level so why pay 60k when i could have the equivalent for around 20k. I know Ivey has a 12 month program but Ivey is not in toronto which will increase my cost as well. I personally see schulich as a better fit for myself and attending schulich is not exactly cutting corners (if i get in).

I did the BBA program at schulich, its pretty decent. It will only continue to get better in the coming years, even in the time I was there I noticed a huge change in the summer jobs offered to students. It went from a lot of general corp finance stuff to a lot more investment banking, research and related stuff…still not on Ivey’s level for finance jobs but it is the place to be for accounting and marketing and there has been a huge influx into finance so im sure it will get better.

In Canada, the two best MBAs are Queens and Western. Thats it thats all. In french, HEC is the best. Ponpon MBA (form OttawaU, now Telfer School of Business)

Being a product of marketing is a wonderful thing. There is no difference in Canadian MBAs. Just like there’s no difference between Tide and the private label brand. The was in the past, but not anymore. Times change. Anyways, I’m done arguing this. I disagree with the above (and I work on the street). So take my opinion for what its worth. You won’t hear from me on this topic again.

cfatoronto83 - what kind of work experience do you have ?