Meeting a CPO today

I got an invitation this morning to meet with a CPO in my area for an informational interview. Can anyone offer some insight about CPOs? The website only has principal names and the address/phone number. I’m vaguely familiar with CPOs from Level 1 of the CAIA exam. The guy I’m meeting today has his CFA Charter.

what the f is a CPO

+1 Chief Penile Operator? scandoworker Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > what the f is a CPO

Chechen Police Officer?

I thought he left out the 3 by mistake and he was meeting C3PO

Commodity Pool Operator who runs commodity focused fund. Not sure though

Cousin Please Orgy?

Artvandalay, are you from the south? hahaha

Listen, it’s an informational interview. Keyword, “information”. Don’t stress too much, read up something on the internet about what CPOs do. Then in the interview say that you did some reseach but still found it hard to understand so you really would like to know what this CPO guy does, how he got started in the industry, etc etc. The less you know, the more you can ask him. This will show that you’re interested in what he does, and not just wasting his time. If you want to come off as smart, it’s about asking smart follow up questions so you gotta think on the fly. If you start asking radom questions which sound complex in nature, or require a complex answer, you will probably look like a tool if the CPO guy gives you a complex answer with industry jargon and then asks YOU “so what do you think about ____?” just my 2 cents

cfaboston28 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Commodity Pool Operator who runs commodity focused > fund. > > Not sure though Correct. I’m a bit weirded out by this whole thing. I show up to this sh!tty building without any markings other than the number. The entry way is very sh1tty with an old school doorbell to ring. The CPO guy arrives with shorts, sandals, and a ball cap (Reminded me of JDV at work). We sit down and talk and he explains some of the arb and black box strategies that he runs. It was pretty short since it was strictly Q&A, and I only had maybe 8 or 9 questions. I did this guys tax return know he is doing very well, but now I’m pondering if I ran into the Midwest Madoff. This office was a complete sh1thole tucked away on a side road. Inside was pretty awful as if they moved in, put their monitors in the back, and left up all the old cubicle/desk arrangement. It just had a shady feel all around.

ditchdigger2CFA Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > cfaboston28 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Commodity Pool Operator who runs commodity > focused > > fund. > > > > Not sure though > > > Correct. > > I’m a bit weirded out by this whole thing. I show > up to this sh!tty building without any markings > other than the number. The entry way is very > sh1tty with an old school doorbell to ring. > > The CPO guy arrives with shorts, sandals, and a > ball cap (Reminded me of JDV at work). We sit > down and talk and he explains some of the arb and > black box strategies that he runs. It was pretty > short since it was strictly Q&A, and I only had > maybe 8 or 9 questions. > > I did this guys tax return know he is doing very > well, but now I’m pondering if I ran into the > Midwest Madoff. This office was a complete > sh1thole tucked away on a side road. Inside was > pretty awful as if they moved in, put their > monitors in the back, and left up all the old > cubicle/desk arrangement. It just had a shady > feel all around. You could be onto something. But think about it this way. If you were running a fund wouldn’t you want to keep overhead low too? And if I was my own boss I’d come to work in shorts too. LOL.

Maybe. Perhaps as a CPO he has been running a successful managed futures/CTA strategy and doesn’t need to worry too much about other investor’s cash. Could be that all he needs is his monitors and his charts and price information. Focus would not be on having high costs / flashy appartment. The question is, what were you there for? A job? If so, what type? Could be interesting, could be otherwise.

Tell me really what CP is

Tell me really what CPO is

scandoworker Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Tell me really what CPO is Commodity Pool Operator who runs commodity focused fund.

scandoworker Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Tell me really what CP is CP is cpk123 from L2 - who is killing questions left-right-center-up-down-botton.

Both cfaboston28 and Swaptiongamma are correct. This was just an introduction since I spoke to this man while working at the CPA firm regarding his taxes. He said his firm does have investors but they do not employ any relationship managers to speak to them, one of the traders does. It may be that they are simply running lean, but the whole thing felt shady with the location and lack of identification of any sort on the building. In a heartbeat those computers and monitors could disappear and there would be no evidence they were ever in that building.

Ditch- I wouldnt discount it too much. Perhaps the guys have good CTA experience somewhere and just decided to strike out on their own (like maybe their old job did awful and they realize no bonuses will be coming for a long time due to high water marks), or that when you run a quant focused operation you dont need a lot of people. Inquiring in history of the people at the firm will give you a good idea of whats up. Also, if you wanna shoot me an email with the firm name or whatever I can let you know what I know about them, if anything. There are lots of good CTA people in the area, there are also crappy outfits running 5M that you should avoid…good luck.

ditchdigger2CFA Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > cfaboston28 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Commodity Pool Operator who runs commodity > focused > > fund. > > > > Not sure though > > > Correct. > > I’m a bit weirded out by this whole thing. I show > up to this sh!tty building without any markings > other than the number. The entry way is very > sh1tty with an old school doorbell to ring. > > The CPO guy arrives with shorts, sandals, and a > ball cap (Reminded me of JDV at work). We sit > down and talk and he explains some of the arb and > black box strategies that he runs. It was pretty > short since it was strictly Q&A, and I only had > maybe 8 or 9 questions. > > I did this guys tax return know he is doing very > well, but now I’m pondering if I ran into the > Midwest Madoff. This office was a complete > sh1thole tucked away on a side road. Inside was > pretty awful as if they moved in, put their > monitors in the back, and left up all the old > cubicle/desk arrangement. It just had a shady > feel all around. This doesn’t mean anything. A lot of successful investors / traders prefer not to rock the french cuffs and suspenders. Everyone where I work wears shorts and sandals (hedge fund) unless we are meeting with clients or management.

Bump For a quick laugh click on ditchdigger’s name. He is speaking from the grave.