Memorization

I’m very good at concepts and recognizing concepts which makes multiple choice very easy for me, but I s a d when it comes to memorization and active recall. For example if a question says which one of the following is not a disadvantage of concept X…I can always get it because I understand the concept…BUT if a question asks me List Three Disadvantages of Concept X…my mind shuts down and I draw a complete blank. Does anybody else have a similar issue? How are you dealing with this? Any suggestions? How big of a part is active recall memory on this test?

I second that…I am the same…so we are both screwed…but I doubt that is only our issue…there is just simply too much material to memorize…hence the AM section has a lower average mark right across the board…now I feel even worst for those whose first language is not English…I bet that makes it that much tougher…

I haven’t taken an AM test yet. Is most of it straight up recall?

This is my fear too.

Is the pass rate for Level III lower for non-English speaking countries? What is the pass rate for the US?

I have trouble with this too, which is why it kills me that memorizing the lists is worth at least 10 points in the morning session in my experience. May not seem like a lot of points, but that’s basically the same as 3 questions in the afternoon.

Same here… Good with concepts and calculations. But weak in memorizing.

amit, I deal with it by drinking a nice glass of Captain Morgan’s dark rum on the rocks. no seriously, in looking at old exams, these usually only form parts of a larger question

IT seems like there’s more of that on the Schweser AM exams. Like one exam where they’re like “List all of the due diligence steps involved in evaluating an XYZ type investment managers”… wtf? No matter how well you learn everything, there’s no way you’re going to be able to recite the entire text.

CFA500 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Is the pass rate for Level III lower for > non-English speaking countries? What is the pass > rate for the US? wondered same thing… someone told me they don’t know too many people who failed level 3. but i’m assuming this was a “canadian comment” (i’m sure any other english as first language country would be same). i’d be very curious… anyone know the breakdown between level 1, 2, 3 in non-english speaking countries?? we’re all finding it very, very difficult… english as second language, i think would be really, really tought. i feel for them for sure.

McLeod- what about the schweser exam that was like “list 6 parts of analysis of international bond investing” i mean, 6. give me an f’in break. i’m hoping the actual CFA exams, which i start on Thursday, or less ambiguous.

KRochelli Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > McLeod- what about the schweser exam that was like > “list 6 parts of analysis of international bond > investing” > > i mean, 6. give me an f’in break. i’m hoping the > actual CFA exams, which i start on Thursday, or > less ambiguous. Exactly, those are BS questions. I mean come on, there is NO way I’m going to go and memorize every list in the entire curriculum. It’s not like memorizing lists is going to provide any benefit to me whatsoever. It should be more about understanding the material.

I can not understand why candidates shall memorize those materials ! I think most of the CFAI’s staff and CFA charterholders can not remember those materials at all. It is completely meaningless ! At least I hope that CFAI can consider to test all quantitative issues in AM session and all qualitative issues in PM session ! What can be proved (discriminated) even some candidates can memorize much material and pass the exam ? Their memorization power ? Candidates pass the exam forget those material soon after the exam !

In the same boat as you all, very bad at memorizing things and so facing troubles :frowning: Just hope we all get this done and CFAI is justified in framing the questions in the AM

westbruin Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > we’re all finding it very, very difficult… > english as second language, i think would be > really, really tought. i feel for them for sure. Thanks man.

I confirm about the English-as-second-language issue for me. Been living for 5 years in NYC, so I don’t consider myself beginner, but memorizing that amount of material in a foreign language is a tough exercise… I heard that if I write the answers on exam day in my native language (or one that I make up) I might get partial credit. Someone confirms?

nicolargol Wrote: > I heard that if I write the answers on exam day in > my native language (or one that I make up) I might > get partial credit. I think that is incorrect. I looked at CFA FAQ and it doesn’t have that info.

I took l3 twice already, and my thoughts are that while recall is necessary in many instances they will give you choices, or cues, to trigger your memory- so it’s not always pure recall.

McLeod81 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > IT seems like there’s more of that on the Schweser > AM exams. Like one exam where they’re like “List > all of the due diligence steps involved in > evaluating an XYZ type investment managers”… > wtf? No matter how well you learn everything, > there’s no way you’re going to be able to recite > the entire text. I know that question was aweful! I got 0/6! And I had just read that section. That’s how horrible I am at actively recalling info.