Memorize the formulas in Book 1?

Hi all, Do we have to memorize all the forumlas by heart in Book 1 or will they be given durng exams? It’s overwhelming… Ord

no they wont.a doctor that operates does not check his books while he does it so why would a financial analyst?

lol. Financial analyst may use wikipedia.

florunpop is right…why would they provide you with the formulae…make your own formulae sheet. www.cfainstitute.org has the exact specifications (A4 size, double spaced, 11 font, 2 sided). Obviously you will not be able to fit everything in that page (wait till you reach book 3). So prioritize, put all the really important ones on the sheet and try to remember the rest (arithmetic mean etc)

Here we go again…

don’t let forumla sheets and flashcards bother you at this point, you can always take them to the exam as long as they are NOT marked and/or underlined.

ORD they will screw with you now you have to know the forumlas I am a party pooper

@ delhi and others, I do not find the exact specifications on the cfa site even if I use the advanced search. Do you have by change the link? The only thing I find is: I have begun studying for the Level I exam and discovered that there are many formulas presented. Are candidates expected to memorize all these formulas? Candidates are expected to be able to perform the actions specified in the learning outcome statements (LOS). If a formula is required, then it should be committed to memory. Thanks

This is an excellent gullibility test. When these guys tell you, “well, I know the bond has a CCC rating, but I’m telling you this company is going places” what will you listen to then?

JoeyDVivre Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > This is an excellent gullibility test. When these > guys tell you, “well, I know the bond has a CCC > rating, but I’m telling you this company is going > places” what will you listen to then? Depends… if you can collateralise it with 99 other CCC’s and grant me the senior tranche with a nice spread… I may go for it! Seriously though, when CFA Institute answers: “Candidates are expected to be able to perform the actions specified in the learning outcome statements (LOS). If a formula is required, then it should be committed to memory.” , what part of this don’t you understand?

mcpass Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > JoeyDVivre Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > This is an excellent gullibility test. When > these > > guys tell you, “well, I know the bond has a CCC > > rating, but I’m telling you this company is > going > > places” what will you listen to then? > > > Depends… if you can collateralise it with 99 > other CCC’s and grant me the senior tranche with a > nice spread… I may go for it! > > > Seriously though, when CFA Institute answers: > “Candidates are expected to be able to perform the > actions specified in the learning outcome > statements (LOS). If a formula is required, then > it should be committed to memory.” , what part of > this don’t you understand? Probably he got confused as to which memory to use on the exam day, right? - Memory Cards, Jump Drives, Flash Drives, External USB 2.0 Drives, Memory Sticks, SDRAM’s, DDR Memory. I have my 1GB Sandisk JumpDrive all set up to be used at Javitas Kiosk for infomation retrival.

I feel old because I don’t know the differences among those things. Sigh.

Joey, if it makes you feel any better, I don’t know the difference between all of them either, and I’m not old. So there. also Dinesh is blowing some smoke here, some of those are redundant, a memory stick can refer to a usb flash drive, etc. ordinaryless, if you’ve done your homework, you’ll know that the CFAI exams are mostly conceptual, therefore focus on understanding the concepts, regardless of whether that entails memorizing formulas or not. The more you understand, the less you’ll have to memorize.

I just tried to get the odds in my favor… lol. But don’t worry Joey, if I don’t see it by myself I won’t believe it. I’m not that credulous. But I should have read the whole thread before posting. It would have saved me the April hoax. :slight_smile: