Men in trouble

Thoughts… http://www.cnn.com/2011/10/04/opinion/bennett-men-in-trouble/

…I should be playing more video games, I’m not getting my required 5hrs per day.

TLDR version: Women > Men because: 1) Women get more college degrees than men. 2) Unemployment is higher among men than women. 3) More women go to church than men, and more children live with their moms than with their dads. 2) and 3) are not valid points. Labor force participation is higher among men than women. In single income families, it’s likely that the husband is the breadwinner. Naturally, this would result in higher unemployment among men. I’m not sure what 3) is supposed to mean. I’m a horrible person for not going to church? 1) might be a valid point. However, we first need to establish that the difference in college enrollment between men and women translates into job success. That is, are the men lazy/incapable, or do they just have jobs that don’t require college degrees - plumber, mechanic, etc. And if so, is there sufficient demand in the US labor market for all people with college degrees to begin with? If everyone gets University of Phoenix degrees, does the world become better?

I think his overall sentiment is overall contradictory. The progression of women will definitely come at an expense to men. If men revert back to ancient discriminatory patterns, we will be criticized for it yet we’re not ‘real’ men due to our current practices. Also, him saying a man not fitting into the traditional definition is similar to someone saying a woman is not a ‘real’/traditional woman unless she’s mostly taking care of children, cooking and performing domestic duties.

The figures don’t point to male slackers: 1. Women get more college degrees because men are more likely to start work right out of high school, in male-dominated industries like manufacturing and construction. Women generally do not have the same opportunity to make those kind of wages without a college degree. 2. Of course women’s earning grew more from 1970, when they were being horrifically underpaid and effectively barred from many high-paying careers. If men’s earning grew by the same amount, we’d have the same vast pay inequality now that we did then. 3. The Great Recession has hit men harder than women, with industries like (again) manufacturing and construction being cut deeply. And as the article itself mentions, more and more men are *choosing* to be the primary caregiver for their children, so they would be (laughably) considered “not working” according to economists. 4. Divorce rate has increased substantially since 1960, which can’t really be blamed on men alone. 5. Video games is a popular form of leisure these days, and more mainstream than it was in the past. I’m sure 18- to 34-year-old men spend more time bowling, attending sports events, and hiking than 12- to- 17-year old boys as well, as they have for the past 100 years. That doesn’t make them slackers. Being older means having more money means being able to participate in more expensive activities.

1. I think this shows you how useless most higher education is. Can’t tell you how many chicks I went to Bratwurst with went on to get Masters in Fine Arts or Journalism or sociology, or art history. On paper these women are better educated than me, but I make at least three times as much money. If there were the economic incentive to get a degree more men would peruse it all the way. Girls just do it because they are good at being sheep. 2. Men don’t want to slave away at a mindless terrible job. Yes, I’d rather sell drugs then work at a day care center. The risk of going to prison is not as scary to me as saying, “would you like fries with that.”. Hell, I’d rather be poor and have no money, eat out of fast food dumpsters then work there. Women on the other hand, have kids who need money, and they are better sheeple. 3. Hallelujah! Only a true sheeple could believe in Traditional organize religion. As for junior, that’s fine with me. That means I cam get drunk and high with my friends on a Tuesday instead of picking them up from hockey practice. My genes still carry on in the gene pool either way. 4. Divorce rate? You mean sanity rate. Have you looked at what 90 percent of women turn int by the time they are 40? Do you drive the same car you drove when you were 15? Sure you loved it then, but imagine what it looks like now. I’m currently test driving a 1992 model swede and highly recommend it. If you are still riding the same 1979 Buick then you need to trade her in.

Seems quite tautological to me. If women are doing better, men have to do worse relatively speaking. Who cares? Good for them. I don’t care if a woman earns more than me in the slightest. I have a mother that is a woman and a wife and soon a daughter too. I wish them all well. I don’t care to define the world in terms of sex or race. It’s just individuals. And if I like you that is all that matters. As long as you are not an asshat, a bore, a nutjob, we’ll get on fine.

marcus phoenix Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > 5. Video games is a popular form of leisure these > days, and more mainstream than it was in the past. > I’m sure 18- to 34-year-old men spend more time > bowling, attending sports events, and hiking than > 12- to- 17-year old boys as well, as they have for > the past 100 years. That doesn’t make them > slackers. Being older means having more money > means being able to participate in more expensive > activities. Yeah, I sort of agree with this, but on the other hand, when I look around at my competition of late 20s guys, I see mostly losers. To be sure, there are some successful guys with their sh*t together, but mostly it’s guys working menial jobs, playing video games, and working on drinking themselves into a ponch. Video games aren’t the cause, but they are a symptom. People have without doubt gotten lazier in the last 30-40 years.

bromion Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > marcus phoenix Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > 5. Video games is a popular form of leisure > these > > days, and more mainstream than it was in the > past. > > I’m sure 18- to 34-year-old men spend more time > > bowling, attending sports events, and hiking > than > > 12- to- 17-year old boys as well, as they have > for > > the past 100 years. That doesn’t make them > > slackers. Being older means having more money > > means being able to participate in more > expensive > > activities. > > Yeah, I sort of agree with this, but on the other > hand, when I look around at my competition of late > 20s guys, I see mostly losers. To be sure, there > are some successful guys with their sh*t together, > but mostly it’s guys working menial jobs, playing > video games, and working on drinking themselves > into a ponch. Video games aren’t the cause, but > they are a symptom. People have without doubt > gotten lazier in the last 30-40 years. Maybe that is a symptom of not getting as much physical activity as we used to? I agree that video games are bad in that sense, so is of course TV/ Internet.

This is fantastic I think. Women are much easier to work with than men. I’d love to be the only man in an office.

99 cannon sloop Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Hmm. Then maybe you should get a job in HR. It seems like every single person in HR is a woman. PR is another good department. My friend went to work for a HR firm and all his coworkers were female.