MER: Good or Bad Decision?

Anyone have a position? I feel like the company actually did what it could to actually do what the company should do, maximize shareholder value. Selling it at 29, compared to what might have happened tomorrow to it as well as the premium over its current price is a pretty tempting exit point. I hate to see them become BAC(former employee), but I guess its better than becoming the next LEH. Anyone else?

As long as i wont get laid off, i am good :slight_smile:

Hasn’t the financial supermarket concept been tried and broken before? It seems like BAC is basically rebuilding it.

They are suggesting that over the weekend, MER drastically altered their balance sheet, ridding themselves of much of the toxic waste. This of course is speculation…if this isn’t the case and they are taking on all of MER’s beelzebub paper, they got f’in screwed.

Good- they would’ve gotten pounded this week. I agree with the above poster about the supermarket comment but can’t they always spin-off when things turn around?

look at what has happened to Citi (who has stayed very quiet this weekend) and their supermodel had to be broken down … this super structure with boa/merr will have to be restructured … and some units sold off … it is not possible to run and manage such a large structure without running into regulations breaches … a lot of financials are retrenching to their core businesses …

BAC has been trying to build their Private Bank business for a while…This will certainly accelerate the process. The US Trust and Fleet acquistions were the begining MER is the cherry and BAC has been aiming at MER for 10+ years.

RAwannabeCFA Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > BAC has been trying to build their Private Bank > business for a while…This will certainly > accelerate the process. The US Trust and Fleet > acquistions were the begining MER is the cherry > and BAC has been aiming at MER for 10+ years. perfectly put