MFE programs

i have CS/Minor math, and i feel nowhere near prepared for MFE program. Maybe that is just me. Check NYU or Columbia prereqs for programs. I think you are good though, given that you taken Linear. It might be that you have to take Calc 3 but i am not sure

Thanks, I know I would have to learn C and brush up on math / take calc 3… Hey, what are challenges for? I checked NYU / CMU and they do state that you need some specific types of Math but when I called the admissions, they informed me that they do accept these cases quite often and ask that the person take a class at other CUNY with a B or better…

quorky Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Thanks, I know I would have to learn C and brush > up on math / take calc 3… Hey, what are > challenges for? I checked NYU / CMU and they do > state that you need some specific types of Math > but when I called the admissions, they informed me > that they do accept these cases quite often and > ask that the person take a class at other CUNY > with a B or better… So i can just take a class and than transfer credits? Maybe that is what i will do, just want to see if it is for me… i used to love math, participated in olympiads and stuff like that, but that was 10 years ago :slight_smile:

what I mean is to catch up on the Math, they might just have you take the class elsewhere, prior to the start of the program… Plus if you have not done this in a while, they offer a math refresher course (3 week course) just prior to the start of the program… Hey, if you like Math a lot, you may want to consider it… The acceptance rate is not encouraging though ~6% and the cost is over 65k…

At the time I had Calc 3, Stochastic Models, Optimization, Simulation, couple stats courses (Probability and then Regression/Inference), & linear analysis. I had taken C++ but by no means an expert. I completed the MFE program in one year.

Arent the classes sequential, meaning they are offered when they are offered and not later / sooner… As far as I know, it is an 15 - 18 month program. Did you find the program well suited for financial math? Has it landed you an interesting position?

What are some criteria for MFE admission? I have Engineering background but not working at any F500 companies. Would that hurt me?

Instead of asking what the requirements are, why not go to a college you are interested in, and check out there programs. I’m sure the requirements for each college are specified.

If you apply for NYU and they feel that you did not take up Calc (Double/triple integration) or Stats in undergrads then what they do in response to you applcation is that they ask you to do the independent modules and clear them off, before they TRUELY accept you in the MFE program.

How about part time and full time? Is it useful to take it part-time or have to go for full time?

I did some research about MFE programs 1-2 years back… To boost your chances of admission in any MFE program: 1) Score 800 on GRE Math … which isn’t very difficult. 2) Take Math courses at some local univ and write Subject GRE in Math 3) Write CFA Level 1

why would any one care about 3) what a joke

My friend applied to the Columbia program and was a straight 4.0 math/finance double major and was swiftly rejected…so good luck… Most top MFE programs are MUCH harder to get into than top MBA programs

volante99 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > My friend applied to the Columbia program and was > a straight 4.0 math/finance double major and was > swiftly rejected…so good luck… > > Most top MFE programs are MUCH harder to get into > than top MBA programs Grades are only part of the package… Goals, relevant experience, interests, essays, interview… They look for the best candidates, whatever that really means. I agree that to have any chance at all, you do need to have an 800 on the Math portion and a decent score on the verbal portion.

Even the Baruch program is hard to get into. It’s like getting into Harvard.

The Top 10 Quant Schools, According to the Street http://www.advancedtrading.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=209102204

they should standardize the name of the program to compete with MBA

I heard that Rutgers was a new program and that it wasn’t hardcore in programming.

As in the previous post, I am currently considering applying to both UC Berkeley and UCLA. There is no doubt about the quality at UCB, anyone on the post knows much about the one at UCLA. I have met the course director and from reviewing the information on the web, they have hired a lot of profressors from UCB. Cheers

God!!!..what happened to good ol discretionary investing!!!