MFE programs

Is berkeley MFE or the Stanford Financial Math program better, or should I say number 1 and why? Is CMU in contention for the top spot as well? Anyone have any good explanation why one of these is the best or any other program?

Preet, also try for NYU courant which is a very good one!

Hi Dinesh, hope all is well with you, I know everyone was very sympathetic towards you, so am I…I took a lot of help from your posts just that I did not write much…Whats your email id? min is chawlapreet att gmail dottt com

I feel OK now mate! things happen… and we have to gulp it down. dinesh.sundrani@gmail.com

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Preet, I was much interested in Oxford MFE but guess i would look stupid if I apply from my current position… Just feel like having int’l exposure…

dinesh are you an MFE or a student in an MFE program? I am exploring UC Berkeley. I could use some guidance. Thanks.

The Columbia MSFE program is also well-regarded. Friends who have completed the program have had a lot of employment success.

needhelp Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > dinesh are you an MFE or a student in an MFE > program? I am exploring UC Berkeley. I could use > some guidance. Thanks. nopes, I think I need a masters degree but will have to start with TOEFL and GRE. :frowning:

Dinesh, I am pretty sure they would waive your TOEFL part. Check before you take the exam. GRE verbal score should suffice.

I am on the verge of debating a MFE/MBA, cant do both obvioulsy…I already have a 730 GMAT, but I do have to take the GRE…lets see which way i want to go…

UBerkeley is better. CMU’s computational finance, much worse than both.

preetchawla Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I am on the verge of debating a MFE/MBA, cant do > both obvioulsy…I already have a 730 GMAT, but I > do have to take the GRE…lets see which way i > want to go… go MBA! no second thought on this one…

dinesh.sundrani Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > preetchawla Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > I am on the verge of debating a MFE/MBA, cant > do > > both obvioulsy…I already have a 730 GMAT, but > I > > do have to take the GRE…lets see which way i > > want to go… > > go MBA! no second thought on this one… Why do you say that? I wanted to do the MBA, but going to pass and go for the MFE program…

Personal opinion, I give 10 for a MBA and mere 3 for MFE. You could find people doing the other way round too. Basically it depends on the situation you are in and the need of the hour. Whatever you do, just play the cards well…

NYU and Columbia both offer a dual MBA/MFE degrees NYU: MBA/MS in Mathematics in Finance Columbia: Joint M.S. and M.B.A. so joint MSFE/MBA

I think it depends on what you like to do in the future. I have been preparing for applying MFE, it involves a lot of math and programming. But it seems to fit my interest better. Math is always my favorite subject. I am still debating full time or part time. But most likely I have to take a part time route. Giving up all the income is just too hard for me at this time.

well, my opinion is that there is a decreased need for the MBA if you are pursuing the CFA designation… Other than networking within the MBA, I do not see too much benefit over the CFA. Having said all that I am going to begin getting ready for application process in one of the computational programs. I hope that having just passed Level 3 (and will receive the right to use the charter in about a month) will help me enter one of the programs. The mathematical aspect of finance is what interests me most… I want to focus on quantitative PM role.

quorky Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > well, my opinion is that there is a decreased need > for the MBA if you are pursuing the CFA > designation… Other than networking within the > MBA, I do not see too much benefit over the CFA. > > Having said all that I am going to begin getting > ready for application process in one of the > computational programs. I hope that having just > passed Level 3 (and will receive the right to use > the charter in about a month) will help me enter > one of the programs. > > The mathematical aspect of finance is what > interests me most… I want to focus on > quantitative PM role. How good is your math? you better know Calc 3 (multiv) and Linear algebra. Advanced course in stats also beneficial

comp_sci_kid Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > quorky Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > well, my opinion is that there is a decreased > need > > for the MBA if you are pursuing the CFA > > designation… Other than networking within > the > > MBA, I do not see too much benefit over the > CFA. > > > > Having said all that I am going to begin > getting > > ready for application process in one of the > > computational programs. I hope that having > just > > passed Level 3 (and will receive the right to > use > > the charter in about a month) will help me > enter > > one of the programs. > > > > The mathematical aspect of finance is what > > interests me most… I want to focus on > > quantitative PM role. > > How good is your math? you better know Calc 3 > (multiv) and Linear algebra. Advanced course in > stats also beneficial My Math is not bad, but I have not taken Calc 3… Only have the Calc 2… I was a Math minor and have taken quite a few courses (a lot of stat). Linear algebra is what worries me a bit (I got a B- due to a personal situation) everything else is an A, academically speaking… I would assume that they would have me either take a required course in order to catch up, prior to the actual start of the program. I am hoping that one poor grade will be overlooked, given my: Major: Finance / Management Science Minor: Economics / Mathematics Pending CFA Charter (which I will start using very shortly) Relevant 5 years of experience (Currently an Associate Portfolio Manager in Fixed Income) Studying to get a great GRE Score CSK, can you shed some light on this topic for me (not sure whether you are familiar with the whole program, application, fit)