MI treatment under consolidation method - (Schweser notes - intercorporate investments, practice q13)

I’m having some trouble understanding the answer to Q13 of the practice questions in book 2 under ‘intercorporate investments’ in the schweser notes material (assigned reading #22 - intercorporate investments).

Not sure if it’s a mistake, but the answer to the question below says that under consolidation method, minority interest is increased by income received from the sub and decreased by dividends paid.

Doesnt that only apply to the equity method? How is minority interest treated in subsequent periods after initial recognition?

Assume company p acquires 80% of the common stock in company s on dec.31/08, by paying $120k cash to s/h of company s. The two firms pre-acquisition b/s as of dec.31/08 and i/s for the yr ending dec.31/09, follows:

Pre-acquisition balance sheet:

Company P

Current assets: 720k

Other assets: 480k

Total assets: $1,200k

Current liabilities: 600k

Common stock: 420k

Retained earnings: 180k

Total liabilities and equity: 1,200k

Company S:

Current assets: 240k

Other assets: 120k

Total assets: 360k

Current liabilities: 210k

Common stock: 90k

Retained earnings: 60k

Total liabilities and equity: 360k

Unconsolidated I/S

Company P:

Revenues: 900k

Expenses: 600k

Net income: 300k

Company S:

Revenues: 300k

Expenses: 240k

Net Income: 60k

Dividends: 15k

q13: On it’s dec.31/09, consolidated b/s, company p should report a minority interest of:

A) $0

B) $39k

C) $42k

Why is the answer B? This is clearly consolidation, so why are they treating it like equity method?