Mike Tyson Getting Back in the Ring

Kyokushin Karate.I still have my black belt with my name in Japanese.Painful times.

I’m not saying hands don’t get damaged more without gloves and that they don’t take fewer hand injuries punching the body, but it is clearly not the primary purpose and saying bare knuckle boxes aren’t head hunters as Nerdy was claiming isn’t even remotely reality. Any damage you take to the hand is far outweighed by what you inflict in a hard shot to the face.

I mean, ok a guy got a broken tooth stuck in his hand. I’m guessing the toothless guy was not in great shape either (nor the guy with the broken cheek).

Lol,sure.
One other thing is it is much easier to “bleed” someone if you don’t have gloves on.I honestly don’t know much about the brain or mechanics of punching people to comment on the whole gloves argument.Either way,gettig knocked out is not the best way to pursue a life of happiness.

The way your guard is set up,the way you attack and defend seems a whole different level than normal boxing.I assume there is far less room for error if you are fighting bare knuckle.

On a personal level, I’ve taken a lot of small shots to the head but the ones I’d rather have back were the four or five sizable concussions.

I will start going to Marcelo Garcia’s gym once this ■■■■ show of a pandemic is over.In grappling there is only getting choked out or falling on your head that are the main dangers and they can be avoided if you are cautious.

Never having boxed in my life, I always assumed that the point of the gloves was threefold:

1. to protect the hands. I imagine a bare-knuckle fight would get boring pretty quick, because after a couple of punches, the knuckles would hurt and people would start protecting them by not wanting to punch.
  2. to “spread out” the force of the blows. Rather than than a 1000 PSI punch focusing on one square inch (right between the knuckles), the force is spread out over many square inches.
  3. to “slow down” the hands, which allows people to defend better. (It takes longer to throw a punch with a two-pound glove than a one-ounce glove. E.G.)

Tell me if I’m more or less right or wrong.

That’s accurate, I would alter the order but yes. My main thing is that to save hands you only really need a heavy wrap job or a light UFC type glove. A boxing glove as it is built is more about head protection (while still protecting hands).

Only difference is that bare knuckle fights (there’s a league) are pretty intense, they don’t really slow down because honestly if your hand is hurting they’re more or less destroyed in most cases. It’s like playing a first person shooter on one hit kills mode.

This is some serious sht. They also have headbutts. Ouch.

Yeah, that’s nuts, Muay Thai (very similar style) in general is scary. It’s just a different level.

I did MT for around 5 years,people don’t elbow in sparring. This ■■■■ is a whole different level,given that the fighters probably average way more fights each year than the typical bare knucke boxer in UK.

I got the ■■■■ kicked out of me in a MT gym once. My right ankle has never been the same after I raised my leg to try and deflect one of the kicks

My cousin is an Muay Thai fighter. Those fights are pretty intense. Your face is ■■■■■■ up after. My face wouldn’t be able to take it.