Missed Flight for Interview

CFABLACKBELT Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > It is possible she left the house late for > something serious. Ran over neighbor’s dog, > kitchen caught on fire, etc… I would say its > very unlikely, but this kinda stuff does happen so > I wouldn’t rule her out on that just yet. > If it really was serious, she would have definitely said what it was. But she choose to say “traffic” and “left house late”. Drop her.

You guys are overreacting imo. Is her job to be prompt to meetings or will she be doing other things that may not be related to her ability to show up some place on time? Airports suck anyway - give her a break if she is really qualified.

We all know that it comes down to her bo0bs at this point. A solid 34B or better and she’s in. A 34D and she can do whatever she wants anyway.

LPoulin133 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > You guys are overreacting imo. Is her job to be > prompt to meetings or will she be doing other > things that may not be related to her ability to > show up some place on time? > > Airports suck anyway - give her a break if she is > really qualified. You’re missing the point in so many ways. Her day job is obviously not going to be based on her ability to catch a flight. The point is this incredibly important event and her lack of attentiveness to it. Several people have already described it. Airports suck? Why the heck would you blame the airport? There was nothing wrong with the flight. The problem is her. not the airport.

ohai Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Ask her to send pics. > This is a joke right? Asking for pics could turn into a litigation disaster.

It’s a bit surprising that she a. Didn’t come up with something better than traffic b. Didn’t book another flight on her own It sounds like she either isn’t interested in the job, doesn’t have much common sense, or both. I’d ding her for sure.

I voted against hiring the most qualified candidate for a job in one of our Euro offices because she gave me the sense the she really wasn’t THAT into the job (assured she’d find something else) and made somewhat ridiculous demand by my standards. These demands were made before making her an offer. We hired somebody who would probably do the job equally well with a slightly less impressive resume but less overall headaches for us. What is the phone rapport like? It totally depends one what your sense of her is at this moment. If you think she’ll be a pain to work with, then follow the IEV path and put her in a holding pattern for a couple of weeks with the intention of dinging her.

Shit happens. If she’s better than the other candidates, let her have another shot.

Is she a charterholder or candidate? If so, nothing like having your bees nees floated on a message board. If she’s caught a whiff of this thread, regardless of her reasons or not, it’s unlikely that there will be a happy union.

So, she actually said she left her house late AND that there was traffic. I could probably understand the latter, but the fact that she said she left the house late, that is like the dumbest thing you could ever say. Even if she did, there was no other “reasons” she could have made up? Really? If she really was serious for an interview, then even if she missed the flight for whatever reason, she could have called you up and atleast asked if you could have considered rescheduling the interview because shit happend on the way or something. I am sure that would have atleast mitigated some of the bad impression she made right then and there. Write her off dude, if you can’t even make up excuses and be THAT honest, then she probably doesn’t deserve the job in the first place. Left home late? GTFO !!

One more for the drop her. I used to watch people leave the office and the main door had a sign that said “Pull to open”. If a candidate tried to push more than twice, they were done. Being able to follow simple instructions is pretty important…

^ ok… that may be a bit much. I’m for dropping this girl, but the door thing… I would let slide.

Thanks guys. My first reaction was to drop her and I believe this is the right thing to do. The fact that she made little to no effort to reschedule her flight, pay for another flight or try to solve the problem is a big red flag in my book. If she does send pics I will ask her to forward them to IEV for his approval before we reconsider.

This is a true but long story… After graduate school, I had an interview with a local boutique IB in a college town. They specialized in M&A for medical eqp. and other healthcare companies. Their structure was 1 MD, 1 Sr VP, 4 associates/VP, and 8 analysts. I was a little older b/c I did graduate school right after undergrad, and had worked when I was undergrad as a co-op for a high tech company (i was engineering as undergrad). Anyhow, I wanted to break into finance and was ready to work as an banking analyst. I quickly found out all the analysts there were big d-bags, some of the associates were too. Myself and about 10 other candidates (mostly all others were college seniors) were setup in a hotel in this college town and were instructed there was going to be a dinner that night before the next morning of interviews. When the private bus dropped us off at the restaurant, the candidates were seated with 2 analysts and one associate at 4-5 small round tables but in a large private room. Dinner was fine and it became clear, this was a fraternity of colleagues. The analysts and associates were downing beer after beer and by the end of the dinner started ordering shots for themselves and the tables with candidates to take. I, wanting the job even though I would never have associated with these frat type guys in college, drank with them but tried not to get hammered. They were there to get their ego’s stroked and really thought they ran the world and were big shot finance guys. As the dinner was winding down, the MD and Sr VP left for the night and we were left with the drunk analysts/associates and their corporate credit cards. We walked down stairs to the bar and noticed the local sorority was having an event at our restaurant which has now becoming a dance floor. Needless to say, they were ordering rounds and rounds of tequila shots. I probably was very drunk at this point but not falling over stupid drunk. Anyhow, one of the associates walks behind the bar to serve himself from the beer tap. He gets caught by the bartender and the bouncers usher him off, and I walked outside with him as he was getting kicked out. (big mistake!). For whatever reason, he starts throwing punches at the bouncers… he get’s taken down and ends up throwing a missed punch into the sidewalk. His hand is bloody and I try to get him out of there before the cops are called. I have him walk to the local gas station to wash off his suit and hands that are covered in blood. He tries to pick a fight with the clerk, tries to steal some beers (I paid for them) and he runs off. We are walking back on a wooded trail with brown bags of 22ozs… in our suits. he has blood on his shirt, and I am starting to really feel the effects of all the shots and beer I had drunk. anyhow we somehow make it back to my hotel room. He tries to tell the woman at the hotel desk he wants to f her but luckily she ignored him and I drag him into my room. Thank god I had 2 queens. He passes out in full suit and I pass out in the other bed next to him. I have known this guy for 2 hours! I was starting to think he might make a move on me but thank god he was not g@y. anyhow I had the 2nd rd of interviews starting at 10am but he had to be at the office at 8am for the first 5 candidates. He jumped up at 8:15am and I noticed he has a black eye. He only says “see you in couple of hours” and walks off. I am really hurting to get out of bed. I am hungover like no other. I manage to man-up and put my suit on and make the bus departure at 9:30am with the other candidates. Some of them were like “were did you go last night?, you disappeared?” I just told them I took off early b/c I thought I should be fresh for the interviews… they were jealous b/c they were pretty hungover too but had not idea I felt like one big pile of dog$h!t. Thank god I had the later interviews I kept telling myself…but was wondering what I was going to tell the analysts/associates when they asked where I had gone. I get there and turns out that associate told all his colleagues he was “jumped” in the parking lot as he was leaving… they kept asking me where I went but I tried to dodge the questions not knowing what he had told them and I was trying to help him out. Turns out he didn’t give a $hit what they thought bc he was leaving for MBA school soon anyhow…also I bombed my interviews b/c I was so hungover (and maybe still a little drunk). I got home 2 hours later and puked.

iteracom Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > ^ ok… that may be a bit much. I’m for dropping > this girl, but the door thing… I would let slide. fail. it was not a sliding door, JDV said you had to pull

^ i meant let the “not opening the door correctly problem” slide. Not the door itself.

ConvertArb Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > This is a true but long story… > > > After graduate school, I had an interview with a > local boutique IB in a college town. They > specialized in M&A for medical eqp. and other > healthcare companies. Their structure was 1 MD, 1 > Sr VP, 4 associates/VP, and 8 analysts. I was a > little older b/c I did graduate school right after > undergrad, and had worked when I was undergrad as > a co-op for a high tech company (i was engineering > as undergrad). Anyhow, I wanted to break into > finance and was ready to work as an banking > analyst. I quickly found out all the analysts > there were big d-bags, some of the associates were > too. > > Myself and about 10 other candidates (mostly all > others were college seniors) were setup in a hotel > in this college town and were instructed there was > going to be a dinner that night before the next > morning of interviews. When the private bus > dropped us off at the restaurant, the candidates > were seated with 2 analysts and one associate at > 4-5 small round tables but in a large private > room. Dinner was fine and it became clear, this > was a fraternity of colleagues. The analysts and > associates were downing beer after beer and by the > end of the dinner started ordering shots for > themselves and the tables with candidates to take. > I, wanting the job even though I would never have > associated with these frat type guys in college, > drank with them but tried not to get hammered. > They were there to get their ego’s stroked and > really thought they ran the world and were big > shot finance guys. > > As the dinner was winding down, the MD and Sr VP > left for the night and we were left with the drunk > analysts/associates and their corporate credit > cards. We walked down stairs to the bar and > noticed the local sorority was having an event at > our restaurant which has now becoming a dance > floor. Needless to say, they were ordering rounds > and rounds of tequila shots. I probably was very > drunk at this point but not falling over stupid > drunk. Anyhow, one of the associates walks behind > the bar to serve himself from the beer tap. He > gets caught by the bartender and the bouncers > usher him off, and I walked outside with him as he > was getting kicked out. (big mistake!). For > whatever reason, he starts throwing punches at the > bouncers… he get’s taken down and ends up > throwing a missed punch into the sidewalk. His > hand is bloody and I try to get him out of there > before the cops are called. I have him walk to > the local gas station to wash off his suit and > hands that are covered in blood. He tries to pick > a fight with the clerk, tries to steal some beers > (I paid for them) and he runs off. > > We are walking back on a wooded trail with brown > bags of 22ozs… in our suits. he has blood on his > shirt, and I am starting to really feel the > effects of all the shots and beer I had drunk. > anyhow we somehow make it back to my hotel room. > He tries to tell the woman at the hotel desk he > wants to f her but luckily she ignored him and I > drag him into my room. Thank god I had 2 queens. > He passes out in full suit and I pass out in the > other bed next to him. I have known this guy for > 2 hours! I was starting to think he might make a > move on me but thank god he was not g@y. anyhow > I had the 2nd rd of interviews starting at 10am > but he had to be at the office at 8am for the > first 5 candidates. He jumped up at 8:15am and I > noticed he has a black eye. He only says “see > you in couple of hours” and walks off. > > I am really hurting to get out of bed. I am > hungover like no other. I manage to man-up and > put my suit on and make the bus departure at > 9:30am with the other candidates. Some of them > were like “were did you go last night?, you > disappeared?” I just told them I took off early > b/c I thought I should be fresh for the > interviews… they were jealous b/c they were > pretty hungover too but had not idea I felt like > one big pile of dog$h!t. Thank god I had the > later interviews I kept telling myself…but was > wondering what I was going to tell the > analysts/associates when they asked where I had > gone. I get there and turns out that associate > told all his colleagues he was “jumped” in the > parking lot as he was leaving… they kept asking > me where I went but I tried to dodge the questions > not knowing what he had told them and I was trying > to help him out. Turns out he didn’t give a $hit > what they thought bc he was leaving for MBA school > soon anyhow…also I bombed my interviews b/c I was > so hungover (and maybe still a little drunk). I > got home 2 hours later and puked. Crazy story… I also had an interview for a MM IB and they were just as full of themselves. I talked to this one guy for 40 minutes on a pre-interview cocktails event. See him next day at interview, I say ‘hi’, he goes ‘who are you?’

JoeyDVivre Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > One more for the drop her. > > I used to watch people leave the office and the > main door had a sign that said “Pull to open”. If > a candidate tried to push more than twice, they > were done. Being able to follow simple > instructions is pretty important… Some investors do prefer the contrarian approach… or feel the need to challenge assumptions. :wink:

maybe she was taking time looking hot…can’t blame a girl for that. i once waited for a girl for hours and she never showed up…so give her another chance, i bet you she is really hot.

bchadwick Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > JoeyDVivre Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > One more for the drop her. > > > > I used to watch people leave the office and the > > main door had a sign that said “Pull to open”. > If > > a candidate tried to push more than twice, they > > were done. Being able to follow simple > > instructions is pretty important… > > > Some investors do prefer the contrarian > approach… or feel the need to challenge > assumptions. :wink: i knew a guy at bear stearns that would ask candidates to open the window to let some air in. the windows did not open.