MIT Sloan Fellows Program in Innovation and Global Leadership

Every MIT Sloan Fellows class is a microcosm of the global business community, representing a sweeping diversity of nations and perspectives. But the class is also an elite, high-performing peer group. Individual participants share several key characteristics, and this common base makes it possible for them to collaborate at a high level. The selection committee will consider those applicants who: Demonstrate high potential and the aspiration to become leaders, either of established organizations or new ventures. Hold an undergraduate degree and at least ten years of relevant experience. Excel in some combination of leadership performance, global perspective, functional expertise, and innovation. Possess the intellectual capability and interest to handle the rigorous MIT Sloan curriculum. Communicate effectively in English, orally and in writing. The TOEFL is required for any applicant whose native language is not English (see application checklist for more information). Applicants with certain academic profiles are encouraged to submit scores from the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT); see application checklist for more information. Is this worth a shot if an individual were above 30 years old and kinda missed out on the MBA train?

How do you “miss out on the MBA train?” My dad completed his MBA when he was 38 and went on to manage the Asian arm of a major insurance company.

^ It’s the night train!

It may be awkward to have a 38 year old guy along with 25 year old “youngsters”. I’m not saying that he should not have taken it. All I am saying is that you have to move on to a different level of learning, hence MIT Sloan Fellows. It sure beats learning Accounting 101 along with some 25 year old engineering undergrad.

I currently work with a former MIT Sloan fellow, and he says is a great program. You’ll have higher chances to get in if already have experience comparable to post top 10 MBA positions. If your experience is so-so, you could be missing that train too. My guess is that Nupps’ dad went through that route because he already had a relevant managerial position without an MBA. Many guys go to a late-30s MBA just because they need the d@mn thing for career progression within the same firm.