MM Proposition II

Can someone explain how to interpret the red components in the below equations? What information should we look for in a vignette to assign to this?

1 Like

r0 = all equity charge.

It is the cost of equity in an unlevered firm (firm financed by 100% equity).

So if r0=rd, then the formula reduces to re=r0=rd, which is weird. What is the intuition here?

True, you have a point thereā€¦ the intuition behind the formula seems not through-n-through.

Maybe other members will be able to profer solution.

In general, _r_d < _r_e; therefore _r_0 ā‰  _r_d.

You can put into the formula that _r_0 = _r_d, but so what? You can put into a macroeconomic return model that GDP growth is 100,000%. Itā€™s meaningless.

Such a GDP growth, though unlikely, will still produce a relevant output according to the model. Here the formula kind of collapses. One of the many reasons I am a big critic of this whole MM model.

Anyway, the takeaway here is that r0 is the unlevered cost of capital so Iā€™ll rather get over this very soon :slight_smile:

P.S.

I have a simple explanation [for the first Modigliani-Miller proposition]. Itā€™s after the ball game, and the pizza man comes up to Yogi Berra and he says, ā€˜Yogi, how do you want me to cut this pizza, into quarters?ā€™ Yogi says, ā€˜No, cut it into eight pieces, Iā€™m feeling hungry tonight.ā€™ Now when I tell that story the usual reaction is, ā€˜And you mean to say that they gave you a [Nobel] prize for that?ā€™"

ā€“Merton H. Miller, from his testimony in Glendale Federal Bankā€™s lawsuit against the U.S. government, December 1997

1 Like

If you honestly think that 100,000% GDP growth will produce a relevant output in a macroeconomic return model, then thereā€™s no reason not to believe that _r_0 = _r_d produces a relevant output in the MM model. It doesnā€™t collapse; it gives a perfectly accurate description of _r_e: itā€™s constant, and equal to _r_d. Whatā€™s wrong with that?

lol, @ Krokodilizmā€¦ The guys deserved commendation for their workā€¦ Try to improve on it, and i am sure you will get your Nobel as wellā€¦

Yes but re=r0=rd means ā€œcost of equity is equal to cost of capital with zero leverage and that is equal to cost of debtā€ which sounds like some kind of superposition in finance: if a company recognizes its cost of debt, how can it also be zero-leveraged? This is the kind of entanglement currently in my brain.

So the cost of equity equals the cost of debt. So what?

If you donā€™t like that, donā€™t set _r_0 = _r_d.

But if, in fact, _r_0 = _r_d, then _r_e = _r_d. Same WACC regardless of capital structure. Big deal.

As D/E changes, re changes as well. I am fine with that. But what happens to r0?

1. Is it a constant? (assuming it is the intercept, looks like it is constant).

2. Why is it still part of the formula, since D/E>0 and de facto the company canā€™t be zero-leveraged?

_r_0 is a constant.

Why canā€™t the company have zero leverage?

It can, but the moment it ā€œacquires a positive D/E ratioā€ it moves to a second state, i.e. it canā€™t be considered unleveraged any more.

Again, so what?

I guess my issue is accepting that r0 is constant, because we know from other models that cost of equity itself is a function of other market factors, but then again, there is no model without an implicit assumption, so rest in peace Miller and Modigliani.

The good thing is I will probably not forget this formula ever again, which is the underlying purpose of these discussions. Thanks for keeping it up.