Mock Exam vs. Real Test

You said it, with those scores i would have already registered for level II (if it were possible ) cool

I was scoring in the high 60’s on the CFAI Mock before the real thing. Passed L1 fairly comfortably, but I also tend to score a little higher on real tests vs practice tests b/c everything is on the line. Good luck to all of you!

Got a 64 on CFI mock. I need to work on my Quant and FSA…

Anyone taking Analyst Notes mock exams? I have been taking 1 each weekend and my scores have been 54%, 72% and 68%. I will take the CFAI mock in a day or two and see how the difficulty compares.

scored 72 and was surprised by that AI had more weighting (12 questions) than it is written by CFAI (8 questions).

morning 70 and afternon is 74. did a lot of stupid mistakes (counted 5 or 6 questions) due to uncarefully reading the question or improper simple calculation.

so lil bit worried about going through real exam.

CFAI mock exam is much harder than Schweser mock exams - especially economics (this one is much harder), ethics. but Fixed income is much way easier in CFAI than in Schweser.

Just finished AM session of CFAI mock with a 70%. I’m planning to take the PM session later today. Would have liked to score a little higher but I am ok with a 70% after reading that actual exam is easier. Agreed that Ethics and Econ were harder on CFAI than a schweser and FI was easier. I also thought quant was much easier on CFAI mock as well. Hope to do a little better on PM session.

Got 79% on the AM section. I felt like I had to guess a lot, though. Anyone else?

The CFAI mock was overall a bit easier than the Analyst Notes mocks, but a few of the sections were definitely harder. Econ, Corporate Finance, and Equity were all harder than anything I’ve seen before. Quant, FI, AI and PM were super easy (I got 100% or close on all these sections.)

For what it’s worth, I found the CFIA mock exams much much more challenging for L1 compared to the real exam. I feel they do this because they know it’s just a mock and they want you to study as hard as you can for the real deal. Also, because it’s a mock they are more willing to ask somewhat poorly worded questions whereas on the real exam they are very good at being clear with what they want.

Trust me on this - the vast majority of you guys on this forum are so much more prepared than your competition, particulary at this level. Good luck to all of you and hope to see you in the L2 forum next year (with me in the L3 of course :slight_smile:

I couldn’t agree with this more. The real exam is so clearly written. There are no tricks or ambiguity at all. It’s really quite refreshing. It helps a lot… or maybe just a little. But it’s nice, nonetheless.

CFAI writes these exams way waaaay better than any mocks are written.

Done the CFA mock L1 (2013) morning sample today

Scored 74% but i had some trouble getting on the time schedule.

Am I the only one who had trouble keeping of time for this mock? (i only took morning session, will do the other one tomorrow)

On overall, i feel that 1/4 of the questions asked required very significant time to solve & needed extensive calculations, especially at the beginning (including Quant, FRA), whereas I finished the last 60 questions in around 40 min and scored 95%+ on these

I really hope that the questions wont take that long, because otherwise on exam day, i may have panickned a bit & perhaps wouldnt have scored all the last 60 easy points at the end … I took several Schweser exams and usually finished the exam within 2h30-2h40

That’s how it’s going to be. Some questions might require 3 minutes. Others might require 20 seconds. Plan accordingly.

I will be completing the morning & afternoon sections of the exam this Saturday. I will let you know as well. I have been around the same timing as well on other mocks as well. Where did you find the most challenging part of the exam to be?

I did the morning CFA mock today, scoring 63%. In comparison my schwesser results so far are 63, 70,79 in that order. It goes without saying… the mock is harder. Echoing what other have said, the difference between the difficulty of questions is especially apparent in Econ, ethics, corp fin and equity. I really wouldnt recommendd relying on Scwesser for econ, the CFA questions are far more demanding.

The mock definatly felt like it tried to pick on the more obscure parts of the syllabus, does the real thing do this too?

I will be filtering the Qbank to make sure I see all of the ‘advanced’ questions and possibly filtering out all the easy ones.

I felt the same after cfai mock, Now I am stuck with original books, trying to get all those ‘obscure’ parts into my head…if we can say then are obscure…it this is how the Real thing would look like, it won’t be easy, but Nowbody said it will be easy

Just completed 2013 CFAI Mock Morning session and got 76%. I lost the majority of marks in Economics and FRA. Should I just be completing questions in Q bank from my weakest points? i felt confident in all other sections but really got hit hard in those 2 sections hitting around 62 - 65% in each.

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

CFA mock exams are tuffer than real exams so if you are scoring 60% in mocks it means you will be able to crack the exam.

Banker99 same for me, econ + fra most points lost…perhaps those were hardest or we simpy underprepared here…

76% looks really nice,u found the cfai harder than kaplan volume1? what were ur scores there??

CFAI certain portions were increasingly more difficult - specifically economics. But overall, I would say CFAI was about on par with Kaplan volume 1 maybe a tad more difficult. I was scoring around 70 - 74% on the Kaplans. But I prepared a lot before the CFAI mock ~800 qbank questions.

I think this statement may be arguable…