Mock Exam vs. Real Test

I never took Elan exams, but I found the Schweser mocks to be similar in difficulty to the real exam. I scored 73 and 74 on Schweser mocks in the month leading up to exam date and I had a very similar 40/60/80 score on the real exam. I scored 72 on the CFAI mock exam a week before taking the real thing.

Did CFAI mock afternoon. Got 69% overall. But got hammered on economics, FRA and quant. Overall between the two is a 73%. Need to try to get better.

40/60/80?

The CFAI doesn’t give you your official score, but they give you a range of where you scored in each category; < 50%, 51-70% and > 70%. If you scored below 50%, give yourself a “40”. A score between 51-70% equates to a “60” and above 70% is an “80”. You then add those scores together and apply the appropriate category weights and it will give you an ESTIMATED score on the final exam. It’s certainly not perfect, but I applied it to the mocks I took and it was reasonably accurate.

I got the same score this afternoon. I killed Ethics , AI, PM (100%) and srew up on Economics and FRA. Equity is one of my strongest areas but I did not do well on it as usual. I also made some stupid mistakes for my bad reading comprehension in Quant. After finishing FRA part, I felt really panic and I thought I could not get through the whole exam.

I will do the morning session tomorrow :frowning:

Yesterday did 2013 CFAI website mock exam, got 71% in the morning section and 63% in the afternoon section.

I found it much easier than the previous one I took at CFA office in Madrid, which was provided by the Boston Security Analysts Association, that one was brutal.

It seems CFA real exam is a bit easier than mock exams, but what about time? Is it likely to be more comfortable in the real thing than in the mocks?

I didn’t have time to look back questions. Do you fill in the bubbles as you go or leave until you finish all questions? This afternoon, I filled in the bubbles after being done with everything and it took me exactly 10 minutes… Is there any strategy do save time on this ???

reading this gave me the strength to pick up the books again

You know you’ve studied a lot when you take your AM PM practice exams + CFAI mocks and calculate the SDV and mean of those exams and used chebyshev’s inequality to calculate your percent pass rate :stuck_out_tongue: