MOCK vs. Actual Exam Comparison

For those who have taken the actual exam before, what are your thoughts regards to the Mocks vs. the actual exam? I’ve taken 3 2010 Schweiser vol 1 mocks and have scored in the 75% range. I heard from some that the vol 1 from Schweiser is much easier than the actual exam, what are your thoughts? Also, I have taken 3 CFA mocks (2009-2011) and have scored 70% on all of them. I did really well on the 2011 morning mock (85%), but only got a 72% in the afternoon part (this got me worry!). I felt the afternoon mock exam consists of many less common terms and the overall degree of difficulty was much harder. With the exam coming up next week, I am trying to grasp as much information as possible and would really like some input in terms of the mock vs actual comparison. Thanks for your help!

edited .

I havent done the 2011 afternoon mock yet, but i’ve taken the morning one and did well. I found the morning exam MUCH easier that most of the schweser tests I’ve taken before… I definitely dont expect the real exam to be as straightforward…

this very same issue troubles me (i.e. comparison of exam to mock)… i get dangerously close to 70% in some of the mocks i have taken which is too close to the dividing line for my liking!

Exactly, if I am passing these mocks with authority (80%+) on average, I will feel pretty good going into the exam. However, since I’m hovering around the 75% range on the mocks, I am getting a bit nervous for next week. With a week left, I will try my best to gain as much additional knowledge as possible. Although, knowing the comparison for the actual vs. mock would give me a better idea of my current standings.

Bluetick1010 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Exactly, if I am passing these mocks with > authority (80%+) on average, I will feel pretty > good going into the exam. > > However, since I’m hovering around the 75% range > on the mocks, I am getting a bit nervous for next > week. With a week left, I will try my best to > gain as much additional knowledge as possible. > Although, knowing the comparison for the actual > vs. mock would give me a better idea of my current > standings. From what someone said on this forum in another thread (I don’t remember which one), last Dec, the actual exam was 25% easier than the mock.

Just wondering, if you failed any of the sections, will you be able to pass the paper? Or it’s the overall score that is important?

@The Simz, I think yes. As long as your average meets the MPS. If your on the edge, and have done well on ethics, it can prove to be your white knight!

I just finished the Elan online free mock of 120 questions and got only 86/120 or 71.6%. I’m at the 75th percentile but this is getting me worried. Of course, I would love to think that the free exam was purposely made harder so people would score lower on avg, thus buying the guide? Am I dreaming?

Thanks adp123! You just gave me the strength to carry on! I almost wanted to give up!

Anyone else having problems trying to access the CFAI Mock? I’m getting an error message, saying the file isn’t accessible, maybe too many people are trying to access these right now?

N/M, upgraded adobe.

you realize if anyone who has taken the exam were to answer this with any honesty that they would be violating CFAI code right?

mnieman Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > you realize if anyone who has taken the exam were > to answer this with any honesty that they would be > violating CFAI code right? How is asking someone if they’ve done the mock a violation?

mnieman Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > you realize if anyone who has taken the exam were > to answer this with any honesty that they would be > violating CFAI code right? I should rephrase my question. What were your scores like on the mock exams for those who have passed the actual exam? This should not have complicated any codes.

spreads Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > How is asking someone if they’ve done the mock a > violation? i think you need to re-read what the original question asked.

mnieman Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > spreads Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > How is asking someone if they’ve done the mock > a > > violation? > > > i think you need to re-read what the original > question asked. Thanks for pointing that out mnieman, do you have any input for my “rephrased” question above? Much appreciated!

mnieman Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > spreads Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > How is asking someone if they’ve done the mock > a > > violation? > > > i think you need to re-read what the original > question asked. Sorry thought your comment was directed to me…