More challenging job?

If you are comfortable in your job right now, would you go for a more challenging and higher level job and switch ships? Pros: gain experience, better to climb up in the long run Cons: unknown territory, you dont know if you would succeed.

I’d have to go with go for the more challenging job. . . I like to force myself out of my comfort zone. Of course, in this environment I would have to weigh the relative stability of both positions.

I would always take the more challenging job provided the compensation is commensurate with the risk.

Challenging jobs bring more risks (in 75% cases) so it depends what stage of life you are in. If you have responsibility like paying mortgage bills, young kids etc , you would stay where you are but if one is young then he can afford to take some risk in advancement of his career.

cfaboston28 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Challenging jobs bring more risks (in 75% cases) > so it depends what stage of life you are in. > > If you have responsibility like paying mortgage > bills, young kids etc , you would stay where you > are but if one is young then he can afford to take > some risk in advancement of his career. I would take the risk even if I had kids and/or wife. As long as I thought it was the right thing to do.

IronMan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > cfaboston28 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Challenging jobs bring more risks (in 75% > cases) > > so it depends what stage of life you are in. > > > > If you have responsibility like paying mortgage > > bills, young kids etc , you would stay where > you > > are but if one is young then he can afford to > take > > some risk in advancement of his career. > > I would take the risk even if I had kids and/or > wife. As long as I thought it was the right thing > to do. Easy to say when you don’t have a kids and/or wife.

my stage of life is conducive to taking risk, no responsibilities, minimal debt etc. the variable here is that the opportunity is a new role and will require lots of though process. basically this person will have to go in and define his role and come up with new ideas for the organization. sounds too scary.

TJR Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > IronMan Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > cfaboston28 Wrote: > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > ----- > > > Challenging jobs bring more risks (in 75% > > cases) > > > so it depends what stage of life you are in. > > > > > > If you have responsibility like paying > mortgage > > > bills, young kids etc , you would stay where > > you > > > are but if one is young then he can afford to > > take > > > some risk in advancement of his career. > > > > I would take the risk even if I had kids and/or > > wife. As long as I thought it was the right > thing > > to do. > > > Easy to say when you don’t have a kids and/or > wife. I have a wife and a son. Enough details of the situation are not provided to definitively say one way or the other, but if the more challenging opportunity is good for your career, which is good for your family, I think you should take it.

TJR Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > IronMan Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > cfaboston28 Wrote: > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > ----- > > > Challenging jobs bring more risks (in 75% > > cases) > > > so it depends what stage of life you are in. > > > > > > If you have responsibility like paying > mortgage > > > bills, young kids etc , you would stay where > > you > > > are but if one is young then he can afford to > > take > > > some risk in advancement of his career. > > > > I would take the risk even if I had kids and/or > > wife. As long as I thought it was the right > thing > > to do. > > > Easy to say when you don’t have a kids and/or > wife. What are we talking about here? Giving up a Wall St. career to attend NFL tryouts?

Sounds like you can do anything your want. . . “define you role and come up with ideas”? Sounds interesting could you elaborate on what you know about it?

> > What are we talking about here? Giving up a Wall > St. career to attend NFL tryouts? More like giving up a gov’t job (in finance) to work at a HF. Two (or even one) year ago it wouldn’t even be a question. But now?

TJR Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > > > What are we talking about here? Giving up a > Wall > > St. career to attend NFL tryouts? > > > More like giving up a gov’t job (in finance) to > work at a HF. Two (or even one) year ago it > wouldn’t even be a question. But now? If I liked the guys at the fund, I would do it in a heartbeat.

The new job in the area of my core qualifications. However, the role is defined as a thought leadership, advisory, role. I guess the analogy would be that its going from being an analyst to being a portfolio manager. I am doing ok crunching the numbers, but am being asked to work on strategies - a natural progression but still risky.

Go for it!

So i just got the follwing in my junk email today: Hello, Your resume was found on one of the job sites. We examined your candidacy and want to offer you a position in our company. If your resume changed, please send us an updated version to email, indicated at the end of the letter. My name is Natalie Patton, I am a employee manager in the company Natural Resources Inc. Briefly about our company: we deal with selling and purchasing of certificate on the coal in Europe. The first license for activity in Poland was provided in 1998. Nowadays, we have our offices and employees all over the world. We work with individual clients, as well as with corporations. Our central office is located in Poland. We offer ideal conditions of work. All our employees are provided with a whole kit to have the possibility of working in every part of the world. Absolutely gratuitous we grant a laptop (brand Dell, HP or Apple) and mobile phone (brand Blackberry or iPhone), we pay for internet access and mobile communication. Once in a year we grant a 2-week vacation on the resorts of Poland. We aren’t standing still and that is why having the European market conquered we move on to reach the U.S. one. The primary stage - is to form the staff. And namely you are offered a position in dynamically developing company. At the stage of forming the staff we offer a possibility of flexible schedule or part-time occupancy. Annual salary is $125,000. We appreciate well-educated employees; that is why if you have MBA, the raise in the salary is granted. Each certificate of degree is individual that is why the markup must be stipulated with head manager, after being accepted for employment. With the expansion of the influence of our company in the U.S. market, promotion track is naturally granted to you. We are always glad to answer all your questions and stipulate the conditions of collaboration. You can get in touch with us by phone (from 8 am till 6 pm, Monday-Friday) or through email in any time, convenient for you. We are looking forward to your answer. Natalie Patton, Natural Resources Inc

^^^ I would consider this high risk.

yeah i know but am wondering what the scam is about. btw, this is not what the original post was about.

I want to short that company.

I would not leave your job for that company.

Dudes, cool it. This was in my junk email. This is not the new position i was talking about.