more job hunt travails.

sorry, I promise this is the last post of day. so i did research interview last week, talked to analyst agains yesterday, and they have final decision next week. as i mentioned before, they liked earlier report/model and interview with analyst and DOR went well enough where I have a 33% shot of an offer. HOWEVER, today i got email from a CFA holder and good contact/professor from my MBA program, who knows me very well. He asked if he wanted me to have him call the analyst on my behalf and I guess recommend me or whatever. what do you guys think? should we leave the analyst alone. I refrained from sending a second stock report/model set and I think that worked for the better. Should I have my school contact call or not? NOTE: that my contact does not know the analyst at all, but he DOES know the original contact inside the firm who forwarded my stuff to analyst…maybe have my contact contact the guy he knows, and then have that internal make a call to the analyst I interviewed with? appreciate any genuine advice here.

Usually you are supposed to say in resume or cover something like references available upon request. If they havent requested a reference then I wouldnt use one. Are you applying for only your ideal jobs? Why dont you start at a lower level and get your foot in the door? Have you considered general investment consulting shops? They need analysts to do performance review stuff all the time. It is relevant work experience.

you should also have your parent call the analyst to and vouch for you… don’t stalk!!!

do it, it probably couldn’t hurt… as long he frames his recommendation correctly. i.e he is discreet.

PtrainerNY Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > you should also have your parent call the analyst > to and vouch for you… > > don’t stalk!!! You are assuming his parents would agree.

What are investment consulting shops?

Investment Manager Research and Selection.

Daj, based on my limited experience a good reference really helps in getting an interview call. If you use it after going to an interview, there is a high probability that it might back fire. Rest assured, you will be hired if the analyst likes you.

chappu Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Daj, based on my limited experience a good > reference really helps in getting an interview > call. If you use it after going to an interview, > there is a high probability that it might back > fire. Rest assured, you will be hired if the > analyst likes you. I fully agree

Why don’t you spill the beans? Where did you get your MBA? Why are you so coy about not letting us know?

needhelp Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Investment Manager Research and Selection. Are there a few major players in this area? If so, what are they?

Mercer Investment Watson Wyatt Russell SEI Northern Trust New Englang Pensions Consultants Callan

Ennis Knupp Strategic Investment Solutions Cambridge Associates Wilshire Associates Pension Consultants Alliance AON there are many more…

I never hear too much about this area. Is their any type of career path, or do people generally leave to do something else?

Career path is being the investment consultant for a big pension plan or an endowment. The investment board asks the consultant to make investment policy, set up investment program, interview managers, monitor, rebalance, asset allocation, special projects etc. You dont get paid as much as asset manager but its a pretty decent 9-5 job.

needhelp Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Career path is being the investment consultant for > a big pension plan or an endowment. The investment > board asks the consultant to make investment > policy, set up investment program, interview > managers, monitor, rebalance, asset allocation, > special projects etc. You dont get paid as much as > asset manager but its a pretty decent 9-5 job. know a dude that went from camb associates to helping run BCs cash in Boston. it is that sort of track up you might see.

the main benefit is that you have exposure to plan sponsors. you could eventually wind up as CIO of a pension fund.

Thanks all. So basically it is where you go when you want to live the quiet life and do okay. Sounds kind of boring, though.

“the main benefit is that you have exposure to plan sponsors. you could eventually wind up as CIO of a pension fund.” …so you can make 1/2 what a good Portfolio Manager can make…AND…have to work 8 till late vs. 10 till 2? Willy

So, given the exit ops and money discussed above, why would anyone qualified for a job like the below link actually take it? http://jobs.efinancialcareers.com/job-4000000000462223.htm/keywordAny=cfa/