Morning Exam Grading

If you are looking at previous CFAI morning exams, how tough are you grading yourselves? I’ve heard that the answers they release are “model answers”, but are you giving yourself full credit or scaling the points in some way?

I am not using those as a test and solved them as open book

I am trying to be hard on myself with those answers… if I do not get something totally correct, I am giving myself about half credit… but like pup said… i am not exactly looking at the total score on it, more of using it as a study exam.

If the question I am doing is a 6 point question with 2 parts, and I get one of the parts completely right but the other part isn’t 100% correct, I only give myself 3 points. I figure it is better to grade harder to keep myself honest.

I’m about to take my first one now…and it starts off talking about Canadians. Fucking Canadians. Anyways, definitely gonna score it very liberally and give myself points wherever possible (including some extra credit for using big words) because I’m sure that’s what the CFAI graders will do.

Skillionaire - you should also give yourself extra points for making up your own questions and answering those. I hear they get very impressed with that. ie, what if the Ingrams decide to move to a nudist colony and will no longer need to buy clothes, how does that change their ability and willingness to take risk. And how do they pay for it - always the answer is synthetic cash - long a futures contract and a bond. The institute loves that shit.

put in a note about shorting CAD and you’re solid.

sebrock Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Skillionaire - you should also give yourself extra > points for making up your own questions and > answering those. I hear they get very impressed > with that. ie, what if the Ingrams decide to move > to a nudist colony and will no longer need to buy > clothes, how does that change their ability and > willingness to take risk. And how do they pay for > it - always the answer is synthetic cash - long a > futures contract and a bond. The institute loves > that shit. Believe you me, I’m sure there will be some (hopefully not too many) short answer questions in the AM that I don’t know the answer to, and my answers to those questions will be off the chains hysterical. You’re just gonna have to take my word on that.

I think a mistake people make at this point in May is getting way to wrapped up in practice exam scores. 80%, 60%, who cares? The key take away from practice questions needs to be, “why did I get this wrong, and how can I make sure I understand the concept when I see it again?” Some of you guys just freak yourselves out obsessing about your practice scores. It’s not the real exam. Don’t spend one minute grading yourself on the old morning exams. Work your way through the answers and make sure you understand what you struggled with and then go back and hammer that concept home.

BearDown15 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I think a mistake people make at this point in May > is getting way to wrapped up in practice exam > scores. 80%, 60%, who cares? The key take away > from practice questions needs to be, “why did I > get this wrong, and how can I make sure I > understand the concept when I see it again?” > > Some of you guys just freak yourselves out > obsessing about your practice scores. It’s not the > real exam. Don’t spend one minute grading yourself > on the old morning exams. Work your way through > the answers and make sure you understand what you > struggled with and then go back and hammer that > concept home. Agree that’s what the practice exams are for (seeing questions and making sure you don’t get them wrong again if and when you see them on the real test), but removing any grading from the test is kinda silly, to me (but I understand why people would do it who know they aren’t quite ready to take the test yet) - I told myself that three straight over 80s (at which point I feel like I’m a 99%+ lock to pass) and I can start playing golf again. Got an 83 on the 2009 mock, so I need two more and I can take my new driver and 3 wood out for a spin.

Skillionaire - could you send me the 2009 Mock if you dont mind? sf@walhonding-capital.com?

I would appreciate a copy as well: meabeln@gmail.com -Thanks in advance-

Sent; not sending it to anyone else, so please don’t bother asking.

skillionaire Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Sent; not sending it to anyone else, so please > don’t bother asking. Can you send it to me artvandalay21@gmail.com :wink:

^never mind, it’s pretty easy to find on la interweb

artvandalay Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > ^never mind, it’s pretty easy to find on la > interweb I would’ve sent it to you - my post above was directed more towards the forty lurkers who were about to post their email addresses. I have no problems sending it to any regular poster who contributes; that being said, it’s pretty simple to find.