Mortgage Underwriter

“To be recommended for regular membership you must have completed four years (48 months) of qualifying work experience in activities that consist to a majority extent of: Evaluating or applying financial, economic, and/or statistical data as part of the investment decision-making process involving securities or similar investments, which includes, but is not limited to, publicly traded and privately placed stocks, bonds, and mortgages and their derivatives; commodity-based derivatives and mutual funds; and other investment assets, such as real estate and commodities, if these other investment assets are held as part of a diversified, securities-oriented investment portfolio” https://www.cfainstitute.org/about/membership/process/Pages/work_experience.aspx Those are the work requirements. I’m currently working as an Underwriter for mortgages at TD. I’m wondering about your opinion for work requirement. I evaluate financial data, create financial models, analyze fundamental risks attained by the bank, and make a final decision about approving/declining the mortgage. Do you think this will be a good description for CFAI to let me in. :slight_smile: Thanks!

I think as long as the position is in CRE (credit analysis, financial models, etc) or at the portfolio level for residential mortgages (risk models, portfolio analysis) you should be good providing you frame things right. If the position is underwriting individual residential loans I think its quite a stretch. Just my two cents.

I see what you mean. Mortgages is the only thing i work on (along with secured loans, line’s of credit, etc.) This has nothing to do with investments. I thought the idea of risk management in any financial field will do. Does anyone else have any opinions? Appreciate it. Thanks!

You are making investment decisions for the bank. Describe it that way and I think you should be able to pull it off. BTW, thanks for approving my mortgage earlier this year.

Ya, that’s the way I’m trying to look at it. I suppose it doesn’t have to be directly with investments in the traditional sense. And the description does mention mortgages. I guess I’m just trying to rationalize it for myself…