Most difficult place to break into finance (with no experience in finance)

Is it Toronto / New york?

When I was in Toronto this december to write CFA level 1, I noticed 80% of test takers were students (mostly asians). I doubt this city has enough entry level jobs. One of my alumni (MBA) with no experience at all still searching for a job in retail banking. Can’t get it…

Toronto seems like a fair guess. Way overconcentration of CFAs/candidates/hacksaw people interested in finance. I couldn’t even get an interview for anything at a bank coming out of school with my masters.

^ So your in the U.S. now? How’d that happen?

^ Couldn’t find a job in Canada. Actually couldn’t get a single interview for anything finance related. Was easier to get a job and a work visa in the US. Imagine that… In fairness I did go to school in the US, but still.

a buddy of mine from U of T thinks it is not that bad. He is doing alright. This thread tells me it is very hard to break into finance in toronto

Well that changes everything.

I think problem is that majority of students with no experience at all are trying to break into. And many of them overestimate CFA or other exams. So you might see thousands of people applying for retail bank job but they aren’t eligible. And one thing I noticed in Toronto that people are writing CFA thinking that it will fetch them job but honestly, they still need to work on their communication skills.

So you just hate articles. That’s your thing?

no, i don’t.