Most likely failed Level I. Should I buy new notes?

i don’t think i passed Level I and am planning to start studying for june 08 in january. since they change the curriculum and LOS’s, would you recommend that i buy new notes or just use the 07 schweser notes? if i remember correctly, when i register for level I again, they’ll make me buy the CFAI text right? thanks.

I am not going to buy new Schweser notes if I fail. I’m just going to use the CFAI curriculum to study the new material added in 2008. The majority of it is not going to change much (I don’t think).

One of the June 2008 candidates had listed the differences between 2007 and 2008. Does not look like too much has changed. http://www.geocities.com/manavsachdeva/

if you register for the june 2008 test, you automatically get the curriculum…it’s included

How likely is it that you failed? If you think there’s even like a 1 in 3 chance that you passed, you might want to stick it out and wait for the result. If you studied seriously in the months leading up to the test, then you shouldn’t need a full 5-6 months to start studying for the new one. I can’t imagine the amount of new material is that substantial that you’d be seeing a large number of new topics for the first time. You have the main ideas, you know what you need to work on, so you probably need a much smaller window in which to study the next go around. If you do fail, you’d still have a solid 4 months+ to study from the time you get the results. Just a thought if money is a concern.

I checked this website, what is the difference with those content colored with green, yellow and red? Thanks. Looks like FSA has some been changed a lot, which is pain in the neck… sejaldavar Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > One of the June 2008 candidates had listed the > differences between 2007 and 2008. Does not look > like too much has changed. > > http://www.geocities.com/manavsachdeva/

Not really sure about the color coding - I think the red means removed, yellow means moved to a different section and Green means new stuff. Looks like Global Economics is gone, Correlation and Regression in Quant is gone. FSA worries me too, but it could just be the same stuff laid out in a diff way - I dont see Diluted EPS, Dividend Policy is gone, so is Capital Structure and Leverage.

Aspiring Analyst Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > How likely is it that you failed? If you think > there’s even like a 1 in 3 chance that you passed, > you might want to stick it out and wait for the > result. If you studied seriously in the months > leading up to the test, then you shouldn’t need a > full 5-6 months to start studying for the new one. > I can’t imagine the amount of new material is that > substantial that you’d be seeing a large number of > new topics for the first time. You have the main > ideas, you know what you need to work on, so you > probably need a much smaller window in which to > study the next go around. If you do fail, you’d > still have a solid 4 months+ to study from the > time you get the results. Just a thought if money > is a concern. well, i studied for 3.5 months and roughly 300 or so hours. i felt comfortable with the material, but i didn’t feel very proficient with it. maybe i am being too anxious… but i am going to wait until i get my results. in the meantime, i’ll start reading ethics in january since it’ll be covered in level II if i do pass. i just wanted to get some opinions on whether or not it’d be a good idea to get new study notes. so far, it seems like the new material isn’t exactly “brand new” material so i think i’ll stay with the current notes for now. thanks again!

hw0799 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I checked this website, what is the difference > with those content colored with green, yellow and > red? Thanks. > > Looks like FSA has some been changed a lot, which > is pain in the neck… > I would be a bit careful comparing the curriculum when using just a rough guideline such as the one mentioned above. If you want to get the whole picture, it might be a good idea to take a look at the different LOS’s. Sometimes it might sound like a lot has changed, when in fact the LOS’s might just be moved around or reworded slightly.

^ yep… me too CFA has the LOS for the 2008 exams on its website… You would do good to compare them with existing notes to actually figure out the difference in LOS’s

I bought new notes in 2007, I did not try to study on the 2006 notes. It’s basically a trade-off between the money you have to spend and the risk of studying from old notes and thereby miss out on important concepts. I didn’t have time to map one curriculum to the other so I chose to purchase current notes, which also offered the possibility of a fresh start and made me feel more motivated.

is ethic in Level II exactly the same as level I? thanks. zizou Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Aspiring Analyst Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > How likely is it that you failed? If you think > > there’s even like a 1 in 3 chance that you > passed, > > you might want to stick it out and wait for the > > result. If you studied seriously in the months > > leading up to the test, then you shouldn’t need > a > > full 5-6 months to start studying for the new > one. > > I can’t imagine the amount of new material is > that > > substantial that you’d be seeing a large number > of > > new topics for the first time. You have the > main > > ideas, you know what you need to work on, so > you > > probably need a much smaller window in which to > > study the next go around. If you do fail, you’d > > still have a solid 4 months+ to study from the > > time you get the results. Just a thought if > money > > is a concern. > > > well, i studied for 3.5 months and roughly 300 or > so hours. > > i felt comfortable with the material, but i didn’t > feel very proficient with it. maybe i am being too > anxious… > > but i am going to wait until i get my results. in > the meantime, i’ll start reading ethics in january > since it’ll be covered in level II if i do pass. > > > i just wanted to get some opinions on whether or > not it’d be a good idea to get new study notes. > > so far, it seems like the new material isn’t > exactly “brand new” material so i think i’ll stay > with the current notes for now. > > thanks again!