Motivating yourself

I am CFA Level 1 candidate appearing for exam in June. working with an IT firm, non-commerce background. I was going fine with my studies spending 1-2 hours daily and more on weekends.

Then, my husband went to US on long term assignment. My company also applied for my Visa and got into preparing for that which took sometime. During all this time I was hoping to get the visa and then spend lot of time on studies once there. But last week my Visa was rejected. Now I am alone in India (with MIL) and deeply sad.

Its been more than 2 weeks since I studied. I am not able to pick the books or even think of CFA. How can I get myself motivated and go back to study. I know now I have lost lot of time and everyday my chances of passing the exam are decreasing.

Look at the day count on the top right corner. Don’t worry too much about time vs chances of passing. There’s definitely a correlation but the coefficient for you getting your shit together will have a higher r-square to the results.

If that doesn’t work, think of an old woman staring behind your shoulders in, say June/July, constantly nagging about how i) you wasted a shit ton of time for some nonsense, ii) painstakingly she raised her son, iii) your marriage was only possible by some higher spiritual beings blessing, iv) your children-nurturing responsibilities top any personal aspirations, and v) she wants her next meal before eating you.

but at the end of the day, think of what your husband would say (other than the imu/NSFT stuff). About how he wants you to be happy / do you really want to do the CFA program. Don’t let the circumstances control you.

hope your visa comes through soon though. Good luck.

Think about the time and money wasted if you fail, you’ll feel worse than now…so in order to hedge against that…study now, sleep later.

Don’t worry much about the visa stuffs. US consular officers always like rejecting visa applications by giving the simple reason " I am afraid that you won’t come back" . Although I have never been rejected by US Embassies , I know at least 3 people that had to re-apply 3 times (and got it in the end). US Embassy is quite unpredictable (at least where I am in).

I think in any industry you need self-discipline esp finance.

If you can’t find the motivation now to study, how are you going to find it when you work in finance, waking up everyday and staying late at night?

If you don’t find the motivation now, you have to ask yourself, are you just experiencing a short term distraction or are you lacking interest and passion in the industry.

I get all the motivation I need by pretending that it’s the morning of July 22nd…

Wow. I was going to post something similar to Nana but decided not too as I thought it was too harsh. Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed!

Dont worry im takng it in June too and im not gunna start studying until march 8th

Is it too harsh?

i wasn’t saying it in a bad way, but sometime we are “pressured” to do something eventhough we know it’s not for us. Clearly many accountants in India feel pressured to do the CFA (from what i read on here), and if it’s not something they want to pursue in the future, perhaps that’s the reason why she can’t find the motivation?

But if it’s just the visa or the move that is keeping her distracted, that is understandable, and she can always come back and do it later.

You are either a motivated individual or you are not. There’s nothing here than anyone can say that will all of a sudden make you inspired to study.

I am not a non-hardworking person. I have more than 8 years of industry experience and have seen those late nights, and never felt like not coming to work because of that.

But this time its this feeling which is not allowing me to concerntrate even though I picked up my books yesterday. I could read only a page or two :frowning:

I am not a non-hardworking person. I have more than 8 years of industry experience and have seen those late nights, and never felt like not coming to work because of that.

But this time its this feeling which is not allowing me to concerntrate even though I picked up my books yesterday. I could read only a page or two :frowning:

I have a bit of a different approach. Yes the CFA is challenging, some of the content is very slow to work through, and can be frustrating when you don’t understand principles the first, second, or even third time you re-read the LOS. A lot of CFA candidates would struggle with this and it would influence their ability to stay focused and be diligent.

I get excited for studying. Why? Because I’m investing in myself, and in my future. I’m becoming more competent with every minute I spend reading that text and learning how to apply finance principles to real world practices. I look at studying much in the same way that I do exercising or eating healthy - it’s the perspective that makes it enjoyable and that gets you fired up to sit down for a few hours and grind through a few chapters of the book.

As my parents always say, what you read is always in you, no one can take it away…

you are enriching yourself with every page you read, don’t be too stressed about passing right now. if other priorities in life are more important and time sensitive, do them first! it’s not like you are going to miss the CFA train.

Get your emotions in check. You’ve had the moping/crying time, now focus on what you need to achieve in the short term.

Strength comes through challenge.

What are you doing with your spare time? If you’re doing something productive, then you shouldn’t feel guilty about not studying. You can do it when you’re ready. If you’re playing video games or watching TV, then you should wake up and smell the coffee.