Motivation or obsession?

I couldn’t help it - I took a peek at a friend’s CFA L3 Secret Sauce. I have to admit, the material looked very interesting and I’m itching to start studying again. I might start reading it tomorrow. Anyone in the same boat?

i’ll probably be reading the level 2 secret sauce again in a few months.

secret sauce may spoil the prep. I want to dig into each and every text of CBOK. Thou i am quite confident that i have made it, i think i’ll wait till the results. Funny, i started studying for L2 in just the week after i took L1-Dec,08. But L2 exam was obscure enough to make me question my confidence.

sublimity Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I couldn’t help it - I took a peek at a friend’s > CFA L3 Secret Sauce. > > I have to admit, the material looked very > interesting and I’m itching to start studying > again. I might start reading it tomorrow. > > Anyone in the same boat? I hear you. I really feel the emptiness without the CFA. It’s nuts that I wanted to have my life back so badly and now have no idea what to do with it.

it’s my first night home since the exam and I’m bored witless. Rewriting my CV and eyeing out some dream jobs on the internet

Well, we’ll probably sit for LIII sooner or later. So I suggest you spend this time on some alternative readings. My list for the next period - finish I.Investor and start with Damodaran, Black Swan, Margin of Safety etc. Cheers

Interesting? Isn’t a big chunk of the test Port. Management? Ugh…not looking forward to getting more in depth on that topic.

Milos Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Well, we’ll probably sit for LIII sooner or later. > So I suggest you spend this time on some > alternative readings. > > My list for the next period - finish I.Investor > and start with Damodaran, Black Swan, Margin of > Safety etc. > > Cheers I.Investor - main thing to read is chapter 20. That’s the gem.

Sublimity – are you a new growth suscriber? I’m the same way. Pass or fail, my knowledge capital knows no diminishing returns.

There are a lot of good books to tide us over for the next while. Also, lot’s of golf to play.

I got a copy of “Managing Investment Portfolios - A Dynamic Process”. I think this is the original CFA publication which they split and repackage into the L3 textbooks…anyway. No wonder someone said “On Level 3, they bore you to death.” 13 chapters, each with detailed treatment of each single security’s portfolio management. A lot of process stuff. Although there are cases filled in the text, it requires patience to go through.

mp2438 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Milos Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Well, we’ll probably sit for LIII sooner or > later. > > So I suggest you spend this time on some > > alternative readings. > > > > My list for the next period - finish I.Investor > > and start with Damodaran, Black Swan, Margin of > > Safety etc. > > > > Cheers > > > I.Investor - main thing to read is chapter 20. > That’s the gem. A few chapters left before that one. Thanks for the tip. I find the whole book really inspiring.

So inspiring. The whole idea of value investing is inspiring.

sublimity Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I couldn’t help it - I took a peek at a friend’s > CFA L3 Secret Sauce. > > I have to admit, the material looked very > interesting and I’m itching to start studying > again. I might start reading it tomorrow. > > Anyone in the same boat? I will sell you my schweser L3 notes. i did not even open them.

mpoonan, did you just focus on the curriculum?

TheAliMan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > mpoonan, did you just focus on the curriculum? yes, i only bought the study notes b/c it came with the online test bank. But i really did not even open one of the books

mp2438 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Milos Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Well, we’ll probably sit for LIII sooner or > later. > > So I suggest you spend this time on some > > alternative readings. > > > > My list for the next period - finish I.Investor > > and start with Damodaran, Black Swan, Margin of > > Safety etc. > > > > Cheers > > > I.Investor - main thing to read is chapter 20. > That’s the gem. MP2438, would you suggest the whole book of Intelligent Investor? I’m leaving on a break next for about 10 days and wanted a good book to read/browse through…

soxboys, read it once, read it twice, soak it in, and dive into Security Analysis if you love it. I just really, really hate the commentary by Zweig in the latest version of II. He ruins it for me.

@ sam. cfa As I was making my final preparations for the Level 2 exam with Secret Sauce, I wished that I had seen it sooner so that I’d know what the big picture important points were. I don’t intend to take any shortcuts for Level 3, just that Secret Sauce will give me a heads-up. @ barthezz I hear you, buddy. Waking up without a doomsday countdown and living each day without hearing that tick tick tick tick is @ mpnoonan Thanks but I won’t need the notes. I don’t think I’m going to go full tilt into it yet, just want to get a good feel of what’s on it. @ TheAliMan Value investing is inspiring, but extremely high frequency quantitative trading like James Simons does is pretty inspiring too. Amazing how many different strategies/tactics there are to make a killing in the markets - and to lose everything, lol.