Moving From IT To Front Office

I remember seeing a few threads on here about this but I cannot find any as searching for @IT@ is too short. Does anyone remember what the net conclusion was?? I remember reading that IT Folks got paid more then front office ?? Can that be true?

Joey Baga-a-Douche

Get an MBA.

Myth perpetuated by BO/MO HR. Transfer to a Big 4 accounting, then to their advisory group and try from there. 99% of the time you won’t get into a good MBA program with only BO/MO experience. Where’s the leadership/creative thinking/hard work/team focus?

Proper grammar helps.

“99% of the time you won’t get into a good MBA program with only BO/MO experience.” Depends on what you consider to be a “good” MBA program. Harvard might be a stretch, but if you have a good GMAT score, NYU or so is possible.

A girl in my place went from IT to PM. It can be done!

^I just can’t digest this. Was she into IT (writing software code?) or was she a Business Analyst (BAs can transition into Finance much easily).

soddy1979 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > A girl in my place went from IT to PM. It can be > done! Maybe she has a solid 34-C set.

muffin09 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > 99% of the time you won’t get into a good MBA > program with only BO/MO experience. Where’s the > leadership/creative thinking/hard work/team focus? Where’s the leadership/creative thinking/hard work/team focus in getting hammered w/ clients and vendors three nights a week?

These posts are always laughable to me… not because someone from IT is trying to move to FO, but because typically, most of the replies consist of people responding with their 100% factually correct absolutely certain opinion of the way of the world based on their extremely extensive experiences. Joey122, getting into a front office position will completely depend on your circumstances, both specific to your background, your target firms, target geographies, types of front office roles, network, and countless other factors. You could be a total d-bag with a horrible background and an awesome network, which might be enough to get you in the door somewhere. On the contrary, you could be a prototypical bulge bracket banker and never get a promotion or slide into PE. It all depends. I personally believe on a long enough timeline, more often than not, finance is a meritocracy. Hard work, patience, and a focused effort can overcome a lot, as long as the effort is directed toward the right activities.

^ So true.

Not to digress, but a friend of mine made somewhat of an opposite transition. She was formerly in sales and trading at Lehman Brothers, but decided to leave finance to go to acting school in 2007 (before Wall Street blew up). When asked about her transition, she said she went from “the trading floor…to sweeping floors”

^Hear Hear!

numi Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Not to digress, but a friend of mine made somewhat > of an opposite transition. She was formerly in > sales and trading at Lehman Brothers, but decided > to leave finance to go to acting school in 2007 > (before Wall Street blew up). > > When asked about her transition, she said she went > from “the trading floor…to sweeping floors” Sounds like she was fired…

I once attended a team-building cooking workshop by someone who claimed to be an ex-hedge fund trader who had the “opportunity to change careers”.

I know a bunch of people who did it. If you are smart, ambitious AND willing to take risks - everything is possiblr

“I personally believe on a long enough timeline, more often than not, finance is a meritocracy. Hard work, patience, and a focused effort can overcome a lot, as long as the effort is directed toward the right activities.” That’s the right attitude. There’s never a set way that things happen, there are too many variables to answer such a question in an end-all, be-all sense. Thanks for the insight, RealWarriorsOnlyPlease.

LaGrandeFinale Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > ^I just can’t digest this. Was she into IT > (writing software code?) or was she a Business > Analyst (BAs can transition into Finance much > easily). I met a guy who graduated from Computer Science and then worked at Deutsche for securities (not related to IT at all)