Moving out of IT finally

Hi Guys, Thanks to the CFA L2 that I am pursuing I have managed to get a job as an analyst in an American investment bank… Was grilled like anything in the interview… Any I-Bankers here? would u suggest me any books that I shoud read before going to my job on the first day? Thanks

Congratulations!

Congratulations on your job offer. What sort of job is this? (“Analyst” can mean anything)

Are you in India or US? Do you mind telling a bit more about your academic/professional background and the responsibilities of your new job? Thanks for sharing - it is very encouraging to others who want to change the profession…

varundarji Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Hi Guys, > > Thanks to the CFA L2 that I am pursuing I have > managed to get a job as an analyst in an American > investment bank… > Was grilled like anything in the interview… > > Any I-Bankers here? would u suggest me any books > that I shoud read before going to my job on the > first day? > > Thanks “CFA L2” is an Ethics FAIL!! …just kidding congratz on your job offer. I have 3 years of business management and 2 yrs in financial advising and “passed the level 1 exam in the CFA program” and cant even become a bank teller… gayest period in my life

I am in currently in India…I am a Comp Science Grad…Was working for 2 years at an investment bank in IT where I was a software developer cum business analyst…and took part in the various Domain(finance) related initiatives…got bored… now moving to another Investment bank but in the Core Research Group… Its a job which involves doing valuations of companies( part/whole )and preparing Pitch books for Bankers in NY, Singapore, HK and London… I wanted a get into Fixed Income or Equity Derivatives, but did not manage to get even an interview call :(…so narrowed it down to Investment Banking Analyst role… Not getting that great a hike from my present job…but couldnt let this chance go… I heard from my freinds who work there, that they pay good bonus…lets c… My advice to those who are in IT and want to shift to Finance would be that you should keep ur options open…its very difficult to get a good job in a field u want unless you have a uncle Kravis on wall street… and ya…from my above post…let me correct it before the CFAI catches me on this … “I am CFA Level 2 candidate” Cheers,

Congratulations!, I am also in IT and want to pursue Finance job once Leve2 is passed.

That’s a big promotion. From back office IT to investment banking is pretty rare. Hard to believe, but congrats if true.

iteracom Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > That’s a big promotion. From back office IT to > investment banking is pretty rare. Hard to > believe, but congrats if true. I wasn’t in the back office in IT…I was software developer cum business analyst and my work involved significant interaction (almost on a daily basis) with Prop/Client and Sales Equity traders trading on American and Canadian exchanges.

Great varun… Congratulation and best luck for the new challenges

Congratulations to you on the transition. Very difficult move.

Congrats. I think you are now obligated to advise all the posters who want to move from IT to finance. :smiley:

anything for all AFers Cheers,

@Varun Darji Congrats dear for your new job and new role. I am having same kind of background like you have Master in Engineering and CFA level1 cleared and currently preparing for L2. I am also looking for jobs but still not able to get any kind of job or even interview call. Could you please suggest me something regarding that or help me out. It would be great if you could forward my CV in your organization. By the way in which IB you are working now. Please revert me back asap. Thanks