Moving Time

Calgary? Move to sunny Silicon Valley! Your credentials could easily land you a job in the Treasury group of a big time tech company, I do FX trading and currency options out here and the hours are minimal. Best thing is we get Goldman, JPMC, BofA, DB and other bankers fighting over our business (read free expensive lunches and dinners, tickets, etc…) Good Luck!

storko Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > you will love my hometown of calgary. > great people and even better hockey team. > www . calgarycfasociety . com always has updated > job postings. > > where you going to live ? found a few ppl I believe. Know them through some friends I guess you could say. It’s not for sure I’ll live with them yet. Booked my plane ticket, Aug 28th baby!

jutah Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Halifax, > > I left my crappy BO job and the city I was living > in with no job lined up, no serious cash, looking > for the same type of work you are now. That was > over four years ago and looking back, it was one > of the best decisions I’ve made. I would only > think you are crazy if you continued to do that > type of work without taking a chance to do what > you really want to or at least get out of BO and > get a fresh start as you said. Good luck. That looks very encouraging!!! Thanks!

… All I know is Goldman Sachs and Morgan Stanley have offices in Calgary - and you can`t say that about Halifax… or anywhere else in Canada short of TO for that matter. Yea, things arent as hot in Calgary as they were 3-4 years ago - but oh well, we are talking about now, not then. Get on the CFA Calgary website --> www.calgarycfasociety.com and get applying to some jobs. There are always a few good ones on there in my experience. Good luck

L3 Buckaroo Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Halifax, what field(s) are you looking to get > into? In order of preference: 1. ER 2. I-Banking 3. Corp Fin 4. Treasury That is of course assuming I can’t accelerate my bullriding career. Some of the suggestions on here I have been mostly keeping tabs with, particularly CFA Calgary site which is great.

Look into the treasury dept’s of the oil co’s if nothing else works out - lots of interesting FX and debt work if you are into that.

Ya that would be cool. Just want to go somewhere I can learn some cool stuff…thx for advice

Did the deed today. No turning back now!

who did you get pregnant?

LOL

easy for us to say it sitting here at home, but no matter what, it is a good choice, doing what you do, it sucks, and if you don’t get out you brain is gonna melt, good choice, brave man, you’ll do well, and it is gonna make for a good story in couple of years

Thx Hotdawg, its like you know me!

And I’m off…CFA_Halifax in name only. Let’s see how I make out. As guest would say “Trust God and keep your powder dry”

Godspeed, ex-Haligonian - see you when you get here.

L3, want to grab a beer sometime in the coming weeks? Cheers

Yeah, let’s plan for it - I’ve got your email (missed replying to you, sh!t went crazy at work these past weeks) - but I’ll get in touch w/ you soon. Any luck on the job hunt?

Haven’t looked much, but am going to meet with some folks at a few of the smaller shops next week. Going to hit up the oil companies next. More focused on getting an apartment in the next couple of days. Have a few I’m looking at it. Luckily I have a good friend I’m staying with for awhile.

CFA_Halifax Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Time to ditch the 'Fax. Heading to Calgary in late > August/first week of Sept, cold, no job lined up > there as of now. Leaving my current BO crap work. > Been there yr and half. Bored as hell. I’m 23, > single and just wrote Level III in June. No > serious cash to my name, enough to survive a few > months though for sure. Willing to do crappy grunt > work jobs again for awhile if I need to to > survive. Just need a fresh start. > > Looking for something now, but what the hell. I > figure September is a good time to land something. > Hoping for ER but would settle for Treasury or > Corp Fin work etc. > > How crazy am I given current markets, energy > sector etc. on a scale of 1-10 with say 7 being > Britney Spears crazy and perfect 10 being Tom > Cruise crazy??? > > Thanks all I envy you. Many a great story began this way. I roadtripped to my current job from my previous job in another city. Loved every minute of being free on the road. Granted it helped that i I had landed a job already but there is no feeling better than being free.

Good luck man, apartment/job hunting can be a pain. I moved to Calgary straight after uni and got a job in the industry, before having any CFA exams, so with your L3 (was it 3 you said you had? yowza and you are 23?) you should be fine. Patience and persistence is key. Keep us updated!

In town yesterday. Nice city. Downtown has a big city feel like Toronto or almost in a way NYC, but the people are very friendly and the landscape is beautiful. I’d never seen the praries until yesterday, very nice. And obviously the mountains in the distance are very nice. Can’t wait to hit up them up this weekend!