Moving Time

Time to ditch the 'Fax. Heading to Calgary in late August/first week of Sept, cold, no job lined up there as of now. Leaving my current BO crap work. Been there yr and half. Bored as hell. I’m 23, single and just wrote Level III in June. No serious cash to my name, enough to survive a few months though for sure. Willing to do crappy grunt work jobs again for awhile if I need to to survive. Just need a fresh start. Looking for something now, but what the hell. I figure September is a good time to land something. Hoping for ER but would settle for Treasury or Corp Fin work etc. How crazy am I given current markets, energy sector etc. on a scale of 1-10 with say 7 being Britney Spears crazy and perfect 10 being Tom Cruise crazy??? Thanks all

encouraging…

Halifax, I hear that opportunities in the Maritimes (especially NFLD) will be good in the coming years. Hell, NFLD is now a have province and Ontario is a have not province. I think you missed the Alberta bandwagon by a few years. Remember what happened to Alberta 20 years ago.

former trader Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Halifax, I hear that opportunities in the > Maritimes (especially NFLD) will be good in the > coming years. Hell, NFLD is now a have province > and Ontario is a have not province. I think you > missed the Alberta bandwagon by a few years. > Remember what happened to Alberta 20 years ago. Not true at all for finance, unless they dig 20 more Hibernias right next to the shore. The landscape is dead over there. Halifax, I do not think you’re crazy. Of all people who replied, I don’t know how many of them work in the field in Canada, but I can tell you the opportunities will be there, much more than in NS. Im not saying things will be easy, but still, better to have a slight chance than no shot at it eh? I know for one we’re sometimes hiring over there (we just did actually - I would have pointed it out for you if I knew before). Good luck… Almost did the same (moving, but to TO) but I got whacked in the final interview last summer.

Halifax, will you be flying or driving? Will you be taking all your CFA books with you? Study notes as well as CFA curriculum from all 3 levels? Curious as to what people do, as I’ll be making a move too and don’t know what to do with my stuff?

Alayle Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > former trader Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Halifax, I hear that opportunities in the > > Maritimes (especially NFLD) will be good in the > > coming years. Hell, NFLD is now a have > province > > and Ontario is a have not province. I think > you > > missed the Alberta bandwagon by a few years. > > Remember what happened to Alberta 20 years ago. > > Not true at all for finance, unless they dig 20 > more Hibernias right next to the shore. The > landscape is dead over there. > > Halifax, I do not think you’re crazy. Of all > people who replied, I don’t know how many of them > work in the field in Canada, but I can tell you > the opportunities will be there, much more than in > NS. Im not saying things will be easy, but still, > better to have a slight chance than no shot at it > eh? I know for one we’re sometimes hiring over > there (we just did actually - I would have pointed > it out for you if I knew before). > > Good luck… Almost did the same (moving, but to > TO) but I got whacked in the final interview last > summer. You speak the truth Alayle. Newfoundland will probably be like a Ft.McMurray at best, lots of good oil worker jobs etc. but not a lot of the high value added jobs which will be in Calgary, Toronto, Houston etc. where the companies are HQed and where the banks servicing them are. I love this part of the country very much, I’m a walking talking poster boy for the Maritimes and Newfoundland, I will always try and get people to come visit etc. I am very proud to be from here, and will come back someday. But meanwhile, I need to get my career kickstarted.

UAECFA Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Halifax, will you be flying or driving? > > Will you be taking all your CFA books with you? > Study notes as well as CFA curriculum from all 3 > levels? > > Curious as to what people do, as I’ll be making a > move too and don’t know what to do with my stuff? Flying. Much cheaper, I’m all about spartan living until I get on my feet. I am selling almost everything here that can’t be fit into two suitcases. Basically clothes, suits, jacks, shoes etc. are coming. Few small sentimental items and the rest I’m leaving behind. The economics of driving (I have no car) 3100 miles are not favourable right now!!! Though I would love to see the country by doing so, someday. My CFA collection, and some books I will likely ship out later somehow. Prob leave with my folks and get them to send out once I get my feet on the ground a bit. If I pass Level III I will be less worried about getting them sooner, but I feel like I prob failed, so I’ll likely take L3 stuff with me when I first leave. I’ll know my result about a week before I go. Yeah, I hear ya. Its a big jump. Where u moving from UAE, TO???

CFA I’ve been tempted to do the same. I didn’t know you were only 23 though, you are very sharp for someone that young. I’m 24 and just took L1. Best of luck to you, again, I’ve been tempted to jump ship and pursue other opportunities full time, however I fear the prolonged job search will appear as a stigma to my resume. Keep us informed as to how you are doing.

> Yeah, I hear ya. Its a big jump. Where u moving > from UAE, TO??? Considering it, cost of living here literally doubled in the last two years. It’s made alot of expats here think about going back home.

I assume you are from Emirates?

any other comments. These are great. Thx

you will love my hometown of calgary. great people and even better hockey team. www . calgarycfasociety . com always has updated job postings. where you going to live ?

Halifax, I left my crappy BO job and the city I was living in with no job lined up, no serious cash, looking for the same type of work you are now. That was over four years ago and looking back, it was one of the best decisions I’ve made. I would only think you are crazy if you continued to do that type of work without taking a chance to do what you really want to or at least get out of BO and get a fresh start as you said. Good luck.

You’ll be able to find something here for sure. Market is still pretty healthy although it has cooled slightly.

Hey Hali, Here’s a link to some job listings on the TMAC website. Not sure if you are into Treasury at all, but there seems to be quite a few positions pop up on this website on a consistent basis in Calgary. Good luck.

Hali, I think that moving, despite having no job is a smart move. Things here in Calgary are definitely slower in terms of job market than they were a year ago but there’s still more hiring going on here than many other parts of the country. As for jobs, you should keep your eye on company websites like Encana, Nexen, Husky, Petro-Can, & Suncor if you’re interested in oil & gas related finance work for the majors - just to name a few. Most have email alert functions when new postings become available. As storko mentioned, keep a close look at the caglary cfa society webpage as there is usually frequent postings. Best of luck…

Halifax, what field(s) are you looking to get into?