moving to australia

hi guys i was thinking abt moving to australia and would appreciate info on how to go abt it …at present i work as a fx portfolio manager with abt 2 yrs of fx trading exp…how easy wud be for a someone with my profile to find work in aus and how is the immigration policy of australia for indian nationals with such backgrounds and experience

Aren’t they beating indians in Australia? Not sure about your profile but your style of writing might made it difficult to get immigration (leave alone job).

onlygodknowswhy Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > hi guys i was thinking abt moving to australia and > would appreciate info on how to go abt it …at > present i work as a fx portfolio manager with abt > 2 yrs of fx trading exp…how easy wud be for a > someone with my profile to find work in aus and > how is the immigration policy of australia for > indian nationals with such backgrounds and > experience In light of the recent news about racial discrimination/hatred crime against Indians I would think twice before taking that step, but it depends on which part you want to move to. I have a few friends in Brisbane and situation there has been calm so far.

gauri Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > onlygodknowswhy Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > hi guys i was thinking abt moving to australia > and > > would appreciate info on how to go abt it > …at > > present i work as a fx portfolio manager with > abt > > 2 yrs of fx trading exp…how easy wud be for a > > someone with my profile to find work in aus and > > how is the immigration policy of australia for > > indian nationals with such backgrounds and > > experience > > > In light of the recent news about racial > discrimination/hatred crime against Indians I > would think twice before taking that step, but it > depends on which part you want to move to. I have > a few friends in Brisbane and situation there has > been calm so far. A couple of Indians are beaten up and mugged in the space of a few weeks and you think it is “racial discrimination/hatred crime”? - seriously you must be watching way too much TV. Every night all over the world people are being mugged and beaten up, that’s just life. A few Indians being attacked in a large urban city for their mobile phone and iPod is hardly a racial vendetta - it’s an unfortunate coincidence. Good grief, Australia is one of the safest countries in the world to live dude… http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_murder_rate

pupdawg82 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Aren’t they beating indians in Australia? > > Not sure about your profile but your style of > writing might made it difficult to get immigration > (leave alone job). This was my first thought… Anyways, without local experience it is very difficult to get a descent job (just like any other move to another country). That said, every time I use a taxi in Perth or Sydney and the driver is Indian I normally ask them if they have a Masters in Accounting or an MBA from local universities - and 90% is always the case. If you are willing to sacrifice your career for some right to work then go for it. As newsuper said, Aussies are not racist (they torelate immigrants to some extent, without really accepting them). You are also much safer in Australia than India any time.

You might find it difficult to get a visa as a finance professional, unless you can get an employer or a relative in Australia to sponsor you. Finance professionals aren’t given many points on the occupation shortages list. Other than that, I agree with what newsuper & joe2010 has said. Local employers prefer native fluency and minimally accented written & spoken English and usually aren’t too flexible on this point.

newsuper Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > A couple of Indians are beaten up and mugged in > the space of a few weeks and you think it is > “racial discrimination/hatred crime”? - seriously > you must be watching way too much TV. > > Every night all over the world people are being > mugged and beaten up, that’s just life. A few > Indians being attacked in a large urban city for > their mobile phone and iPod is hardly a racial > vendetta - it’s an unfortunate coincidence. > > Good grief, Australia is one of the safest > countries in the world to live dude… > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_ > murder_rate As far as I remember, Australian Ambassador to India did admit that it was racial crime. Apparently, there is Wikipedia article for ‘violence against Indians in Australia’ that says it all - enjoy reading. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Violence_against_Indians_in_Australia_controversy

gauri Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > newsuper Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > A couple of Indians are beaten up and mugged in > > the space of a few weeks and you think it is > > “racial discrimination/hatred crime”? - > seriously > > you must be watching way too much TV. > > > > Every night all over the world people are being > > mugged and beaten up, that’s just life. A few > > Indians being attacked in a large urban city > for > > their mobile phone and iPod is hardly a racial > > vendetta - it’s an unfortunate coincidence. > > > > Good grief, Australia is one of the safest > > countries in the world to live dude… > > > > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_ > > > murder_rate > > > As far as I remember, Australian Ambassador to > India did admit that it was racial crime. > Apparently, there is Wikipedia article for > ‘violence against Indians in Australia’ that > says it all - enjoy reading. > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Violence_against_Indi > ans_in_Australia_controversy Dude, you are just being silly. An Indian is more safe in Australia than in their own country. I am surprised you can not get that from wikipedia.

JOE2010 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I am surprised you can not get that from > wikipedia. JOE, I don’t want to offend you or anyone, but I read a lot more Indian news than you do, and recent attacks generated lots of negative publicity in India. I am sure you did not read the Wikipedia link in my above post. There were protest rallies all over the country, media did blow it out of proportions but there was at least 60% truth to it which was later confirmed by Australian Embassy. I don’t know how recently updated above Wikipedia Safety article is. Since OP specifically said ‘Policy for Indians’ so I was expressing my opinion, I did say in my earlier post that not all parts were as bad as Victoria/Queensland but if he decides to move to these two, at least he should keep recent news in mind.

gauri Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > JOE2010 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > I am surprised you can not get that from > > wikipedia. > > > JOE, I don’t want to offend you or anyone, but I > read a lot more Indian news than you do, and > recent attacks generated lots of negative > publicity in India. I am sure you did not read the > Wikipedia link in my above post. There were > protest rallies all over the country, media did > blow it out of proportions but there was at least > 60% truth to it which was later confirmed by > Australian Embassy. I don’t know how recently > updated above Wikipedia Safety article is. > > Since OP specifically said ‘Policy for Indians’ so > I was expressing my opinion, I did say in my > earlier post that not all parts were as bad as > Victoria/Queensland but if he decides to move to > these two, at least he should keep recent news in > mind. Who cares what you read? Do I really need wikipedia to know about insecurity in India?

JOE2010 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Do I really need wikipedia to know about insecurity in India? Now that’s a clearly ignorant blanket statement. And where do you get that from, your reliable news sources right, fascist. Before you begin typing just think at least once, it helps. Good Weekend!

Australia had a number of cities in the best places to live in the world rankings…India did not.

Gauri, How many indians got back to India after these racial attacks? 5% at the most?

gauri Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > JOE2010 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > > Do I really need wikipedia to know about > insecurity in India? > > > Now that’s a clearly ignorant blanket statement. > And where do you get that from, your reliable news > sources right, fascist. Before you begin typing > just think at least once, it helps. > Good Weekend! You now sound like one of those thugs from India who move overseas masquerading as students. And they end up committing murder, burning themselves in an attempt to extort money - then call others racists.

^ I read few of those cases where they tried to extort money from insurance companies.

JOE2010 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > You now sound like one of those thugs from India > who move overseas masquerading as students. And > they end up committing murder, burning themselves > in an attempt to extort money - then call others > racists. Sorry dude that you couldn’t go to Stanford/Harvard on full scholarship and I will not resort to your irrational suggestions, but I must say you got a lotta of white matter upstairs.

*Woohhh !!* This thread is heating up … Should I cut the interest rates ??

gauri Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > JOE2010 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > You now sound like one of those thugs from > India > > who move overseas masquerading as students. And > > they end up committing murder, burning > themselves > > in an attempt to extort money - then call > others > > racists. > > > Sorry dude that you couldn’t go to > Stanford/Harvard on full scholarship and I will > not resort to your irrational suggestions, but I > must say you got a lotta of white matter upstairs. What exactly is your point? That India is more safe than Australia or any other Western nation? Nice. And what if I went to one of those universities you mention as a full fee paying student?

I am a desi settled in Australia. I totally agree with Joe2010 - Australia is much more safe than bhai log (gangster) indian culture you see in places like Mumbai, where rape, kidnap for ransom, murder, extortions are common, very common. The news reports you see around indian students in Aus do not portray the complete picture. Only those indian students who do odd jobs at odd times face these assaults which, in my view, are purely opprotunistic. You are asking for trouble if you are at a bus stop or train station at 11:30pm anywhere in the world. On the other hand, there are a few bogans (racists) living in Australia but majority (I’d say 99%) of Aussies are not racists. I still remember the Cronulla riots (google for details) as at that time we’d recently moved to Aus and were seriously shocked. But now after living here for long enough I think that Aussies are very nice people.