Moving to Canada advice

There seem to be a lot of Canadians here so I hope someone can help me out. I recently recieved a job offer from a firm in Canada, but it is contingent on my ability to move there quickly. As an American citizen, would I need to apply for a work permit and visa, or can I just move there, because of NAFTA, and apply for an extended stay or for citizenship when my visitor visa runs out? Thanks for the advice.

Is this what you are looking for? http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/special-business.asp

Don’t

Don’t do it!! So what happens when you get the flu and need to go to the doctor? Are you willing to sit in three block long lines to see an underpaid/unmotivated doctor that is forced to practice in an assembly line style medical system??? Huh?

The only way you can move here for work is if the firm is willing to sponsor you right off the bat. If you want to work in Canada legally you need that visa. Same goes for a Cdn who wants to work in the U.S. You can’t just move here and start working. As for health care, once you have your work permit you’re fully covered. As long as you get a proper doctor you don’t wait in 3 block lines.

drs Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Don’t do it!! So what happens when you get the > flu and need to go to the doctor? > > Are you willing to sit in three block long lines > to see an underpaid/unmotivated doctor that is > forced to practice in an assembly line style > medical system??? > > Huh? i went to see my GP yesturday and i didnt even wait ten minutes.

“Are you willing to sit in three block long lines to see an underpaid/unmotivated doctor that is forced to practice in an assembly line style medical system???” I’ve heard this myth…I’m not sure what city in Canada things work like that.

Thanks for the help. That website isn’t so clear, so I’m glad to get some first hand advice. One more thing, has anyone actually applied for a Canadian work visa? I’m supposed to start in November; is that enough time?

Don’t mean to sound like an ass, but google is your friend.

Canada is fine. Just don’t move to Toronto.

cfa_toronto_on Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Canada is fine. Just don’t move to Toronto. Afraid of some competition, are we? :wink:

Looks like getting into Canada is easy if you have a rap sheet… http://www.economist.com/world/la/displaystory.cfm?story_id=9804671