Moving to Europe

So I am thinking about moving to Europe for short term gig (1-2 years). Which country has the bigger financial market beside England, Swiss and Germany? Has anyone done it? Please share your exp

France, actually pretty bullish on Les Francais. Disclosure: I am half french and looking to either lateral into a french (read: parisian) position or go to Soc. Gen.

ASSet_MANagement Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > France, actually pretty bullish on Les Francais. > > Disclosure: I am half french and looking to either > lateral into a french (read: parisian) position or > go to Soc. Gen. France? You gotta be kidding me…

marcus phoenix Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > ASSet_MANagement Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > France, actually pretty bullish on Les > Francais. > > > > Disclosure: I am half french and looking to > either > > lateral into a french (read: parisian) position > or > > go to Soc. Gen. > > > France? You gotta be kidding me… No, I’m not. You raise a valid argument though?

All I need is a job in my field and I am good to go. Will start my search early next year after Bonus season. The plan is to look for a gig first in Germany, Switzerland, Italy, France, Luxemborg, Holland and Ireland. These countries have bigger financial market (at least better and more opportunities than any other countries in Europe beside England offcourse.) Second tier - Sweden, Denmark, Belgium and Austria. If nothing works out in Europe - I will think about Cayman Island, Bahamas or other off shore countries in southern America. Tired of life in NYC and looking to work abroad for couple of years.

pupdawg82 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > All I need is a job in my field and I am good to > go. Will start my search early next year after > Bonus season. > > The plan is to look for a gig first in Germany, > Switzerland, Italy, France, Luxemborg, Holland and > Ireland. These countries have bigger financial > market (at least better and more opportunities > than any other countries in Europe beside England > offcourse.) > > Second tier - Sweden, Denmark, Belgium and > Austria. > > If nothing works out in Europe - I will think > about Cayman Island, Bahamas or other off shore > countries in southern America. > > Tired of life in NYC and looking to work abroad > for couple of years. Wanna swtich with me? I’m in Miami, pretty much a non-us city :stuck_out_tongue:

ASSet_MANagement Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > marcus phoenix Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > ASSet_MANagement Wrote: > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > ----- > > > France, actually pretty bullish on Les > > Francais. > > > > > > Disclosure: I am half french and looking to > > either > > > lateral into a french (read: parisian) > position > > or > > > go to Soc. Gen. > > > > > > France? You gotta be kidding me… > > > No, I’m not. You raise a valid argument though? Their economy seems perennially depressed to me. Add to that there is too much negativity in the country. I want to move to the Netherlands. The dutch people are awesome and Amsterdam is the coolest city evar!

ASSet_MANagement Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > pupdawg82 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > All I need is a job in my field and I am good > to > > go. Will start my search early next year after > > Bonus season. > > > > The plan is to look for a gig first in Germany, > > Switzerland, Italy, France, Luxemborg, Holland > and > > Ireland. These countries have bigger financial > > market (at least better and more opportunities > > than any other countries in Europe beside > England > > offcourse.) > > > > Second tier - Sweden, Denmark, Belgium and > > Austria. > > > > If nothing works out in Europe - I will think > > about Cayman Island, Bahamas or other off shore > > countries in southern America. > > > > Tired of life in NYC and looking to work abroad > > for couple of years. > > > Wanna swtich with me? I’m in Miami, pretty much a > non-us city :stuck_out_tongue: Sorry brah. Cuba is not in my list:) Miami has few Hedge funds and PWM?private Banking. Apart from these, I don’t see any financial activity as compare to Charlotte/Atlanta in south.

. dups

Miami has a few strong HF’s a few small P/E shops that focus on Lat. Am. and a TON of private banking/wealth mgmt. I personally think it would be cool to start a REIT or RE focused HF down here, especially right now.

^ But it is very hard to get into those listed fields. They usually hire someone who has experience or recent MBA grad so I do not qualify. Need to learn German or French if we want to move that part of Europe

I am trying to learn dutch…its sounds sooo funny!!

In some of those countries would be majorly difficult without speaking the language, especially if you are not very senior. (ie, germany, italy, france) Good markets that have a lot of english are holland, scandinavia, possibly belgium (more specifically brussels), ireland and possibly luxembourg, switzerland.

transferpricingCFA Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > In some of those countries would be majorly > difficult without speaking the language, > especially if you are not very senior. (ie, > germany, italy, france) > > Good markets that have a lot of english are > holland, scandinavia, possibly belgium (more > specifically brussels), ireland and possibly > luxembourg, switzerland. I want to work with you Sopsop, we would tear UP the euro offerings, well. I’d just follow in your footsteps.

> marcus phoenix Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- >Add to that there is too much negativity in the country. I agree, everybody is a downer here, full of complainers. >I want to move to the Netherlands. The dutch people are awesome and Amsterdam is the coolest city evar! Ya Amsterdam would be the bomb!

ASSet_MANagement Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > transferpricingCFA Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > In some of those countries would be majorly > > difficult without speaking the language, > > especially if you are not very senior. (ie, > > germany, italy, france) > > > > Good markets that have a lot of english are > > holland, scandinavia, possibly belgium (more > > specifically brussels), ireland and possibly > > luxembourg, switzerland. > > > I want to work with you Sopsop, we would tear UP > the euro offerings, well. I’d just follow in your > footsteps. Nupps, we’d be like Sitch and Pauly D!

^ and may be gays too.

Pupdawg…forget about Denmark. You’ll want to leave after 3months. Not much out there. I work for a company who’s HQ’s is there and I go often. It’s great to visit, but not live. Why not head to Asia? Banks are hiring big time over there.

Europe because it will allow me to travel on weekend (Ryan air is cheap and can go any where on weekend). So would be fun to meet new people, chance to learn new culture etc. Asia - May be down the line and would like to move in senior managament if I want to move to Asia.

A tip for those of you wanting to move to and work in Europe: Language can be an issue, but not always. If you relocate to a city where a European company has its headquarters, they are most certainly in need of people who speak English (even desperate for native speakers). However, if you go to a company’s local branch that exists predominantly for catering to the local market, you’re not going to get very far without some knwoledge of the country’s language. So, if you want to go to France, look at e.g. Société Générale, Crédit Agricole, etc… For Germany, look at e.g. Deutsche Bank, Commerzbank, etc… Italy --> Unicredit, etc… …and so on. I’m not saying its impossible getting a position without language skills at branch offices, just much more difficult. Good luck!!