Moving to London

Hey, everyone. My wife is finishing up her MBA from one of the top B-schools here in the US and there is a good chance she may receive an offer to work in London. If she does, we will both go. What are the potential asset manager employment opportunities there for an American. I just passed the second level of the CFA examination and have corporate plan sponsor and investment consultant experience. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately, it is not a good time to move to London, there are a lot of good people out here looking for a job… Nationality does not matter much, London is full of foreigners - though it might have an impact on your work status if you come from the US.

i hear that the city is an absolute mess for jobs. lots of guys on the street looking for work.

nowhere to turn right now in the private sector. maybe the reg agencies?

Vidnov, maybe you could install Skype on your computer and start cold-calling?

Hm, okay, so after reviewing all of your responses, getting a job in London should be no biggy. There should be plenty of McDonald’s.

Hey man I am also in the process of moving to London and yes things are tight, but no their not impossible. Start by going on to the CFA society UK web page, it’s got a LOT of job listings. Secondly, hit the networking including the firm making the offer to your wife. I am not suggesting you ask them for a job, though you could, but rather see if they could refer you to someone. As for working in the UK, as a non-resident your status will be tied to that of your wife and since she will be working on a work permit (if I understood you correctly) it is a bit tight. The work permit is tied directly to the company she will be working for, meaning that if she looses that job for any reason, you will both have to leave the country. My advice to you would be that one of you should apply for a Tier one permit (the old HSMP), it is a points system and will give you all the rights afforded to British citizens, except for state welfare.

Thanks for the tips, cfaBANANA. I will need to research this issue more closely when and if she gets the offer. May I ask where you are moving to London from?

I am South African, just finished my MBA while my wife is a Dentist, currently doing locum work. So this is a great time for us to go over, just a pity about the market. It still beats the market here though. We have 22% unemployment, which is why I am not all that fused about the London situation. The real problem at the moment is the exchange rate going south after, first the president and then 14 ministers, quit. Should blow over before we move though, which is probably in a month from now. Moving from spring here in Cape Town to Autumn in London is also not the best of plans but we have to use the HSMP as soon as it come through since I am applying for the 2009 intake at a couple of UK firms. The upside though, coming from South Africa, is that most Brits understand that South Africa and Somalia are not the same place. That might sound like a silly statement, but ill informed people have some strange ideas about Africa. Like a girl I once met who though that the entire Africa was one country with one language. Another person flatly refused to believe that South Africa performed the world’s first successful hart transplant, and the list goes on. The rather long winded point I am trying to make is that no British recruiter or employer will wonder if I actually know what a computer is. The other plus is that after 5 years on an HSMP you can get a British passport which will allow you to work in any EU country. So sorry for the bit of a rant there, past my bed time here and tomorrow I have to do a valuation for a takeover bid which only covers the target company’s client base and not the legal entity. Normally I love that kind of assignment, but tomorrow is a public holiday, Heritage Day. We just call it national “Braai” (BBQ) day though, so guess what I am going to miss out on. Cheers

Cheers, buddy. Good luck in London. Whoever thinks that South Africa is no different than Somalia is either from Somalia or is a clinical cretin.

cfaBANANA Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > The > other plus is that after 5 years on an HSMP you > can get a British passport which will allow you to > work in any EU country. Although the rules are changing (again…)

Getting a British passport is like passing CFA exams You got to spend atleast 5 years working in UK full time either on a WP or HSMP (newly known as Tier 1- General) and then apply for an Indefinite Leave to Remain (another visa) and once you get that you have to stay for another 1 year in UK and then only you can apply for the British passport. You got to give exams for BP. The entire process can bring your costs in alignment to that of a CFA program and the benefits are unmeasurable.

chrismaths Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > cfaBANANA Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > The > > other plus is that after 5 years on an HSMP you > > can get a British passport which will allow you > to > > work in any EU country. > > Although the rules are changing (again…) What part of this is changing? I’m in the process of becoming a Spanish citizen as backup in case the USD and the economy goes to shit. As a Spanish citizen, would I be able to work in the UK or other EU countries without any troubles?

no_slogan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > chrismaths Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > cfaBANANA Wrote: > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > ----- > > > The > > > other plus is that after 5 years on an HSMP > you > > > can get a British passport which will allow > you > > to > > > work in any EU country. > > > > Although the rules are changing (again…) > > > What part of this is changing? I’m in the process > of becoming a Spanish citizen as backup in case > the USD and the economy goes to shit. As a > Spanish citizen, would I be able to work in the UK > or other EU countries without any troubles? If you have a passport from one EU country, you can work wherever you want in all Europe without any problem.

My wife (an aussie) is close to the end of this process now. We’ve paid a shedload of government fees now. If we started again, we’d have to pay: Certificate of approval to marry (I felt like some feudal f-ing serf asking for this): £295 Further leave to remain (2 year visa): £395 Further further leave to remain (another 2 year visa): £395 Life in the UK test: £34 Indefinite leave to remain (permanent residency allowed after 3 year period): £750 Citizenship: £655 Passport (that’s extra of course): £72 Total : £2,596. That’s far more than the CFA program ($600*3 + $390)=$2190 = £1190, and to add pointlessness to penury, she’s never even been interviewed, and all of the application forms have been 98% identical. To top it all off, she’s bloody expensive to keep as well. In fact a friend of mine has just married an aussie. He turned white when I told him how much the fees were.

yup- those fees really irk me. I’m doing my husbands apps in the US and they are not as expensice but still ludicrous considering what they actually do. I mean $600 bucks for a new green card… I already payed $1000+ for the first one!! Its basically re-sending the stupid thing with a new expiration date, how is that different than my $12 drivers license renewal. ARG. $700 more for naturalization and we’re done… finally.