Moving to NYC in a month

Just found out a couple days back I landed a relationship management position at my company’s hq in NYC. My wife and I are in the Philly area now, so we need to find a place pretty quickly. Just wanted to see if anyone had good advice on apartments to check out. We’re going up tomorrow to check out some places in Midtown. My office is there, and my wife looks like she may be getting a job where she’d need to reverse commute from Grand Central Station. So given the short time frame, we’re just looking for convenience and something decent…1 bedroom 700sq ft or so like we have now. Also wondering if it’s worth paying more to get in a condo building w/ a gym and what not, or going cheaper and getting that separately. It seems like there are some nice buildings for not a whole lot more than older ones, but are just further out towards hell’s kitchen. Sorry for the long post, just wondering if anyone has advice…will also post in the general forum. It also seems mid to upper 2k is the range for something like this. Seems unbelievable when you total that up for a year, but at least there’s some cost of living adjustment involved. Thanks a lot.

Congrats ng! You might get more answers in the GD area. There are some guys that know NY pretty well there.

Thanks buddy. Have gotten a few already.

If you’re new to Manhattan, I would get a 1br in one of the new(er) high-rises in Hells Kitchen/Clinton. You can avoid brokers this way and walk-in to the leasing office. Rents are down and with 2 people, you can splurge a little. These apt buildings typically have gyms also. Would be about a 15 minute walk to Grand Central or a quick 42nd street crosstown bus.

Thanks…this is exactly what we did. Ironically enough, I read your post as we were walking back to fill out our application at a new development on 42nd and 12th. It was comforting to me as we were about to sign our life away! The building is brand new and incredible…2 mos. free and no fees. Little bit out of the way, but well worth it to us. Not to mention there’s a free shuttle to grand central in the morning. Thanks for validating our decision! eastcoaster9 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > If you’re new to Manhattan, I would get a 1br in > one of the new(er) high-rises in Hells > Kitchen/Clinton. You can avoid brokers this way > and walk-in to the leasing office. Rents are > down and with 2 people, you can splurge a little. > These apt buildings typically have gyms also. > > > Would be about a 15 minute walk to Grand Central > or a quick 42nd street crosstown bus.

Some parts of Brooklyn aren’t that bad, and of course cheaper than manhattan.

I was going to say, Brooklyn is fantastic, but if you are new To NYC, you might want to get the Manhattan experience, so you can be rid of it once and for all (or maybe you actually want advertising lights and drunk people on your block). But, Hell’s Kitchen is a popular choice because it is more affordable, but it is without a doubt one of the most generic and soul-less areas. Long days at the office in midtown AND living in midtown would make me rather unhappy. But, if you gotta have manhattan, you gotta have manhattan, or else you’ll always wonder whether you should have lived there. Furthermore, depends on what kind of couple you are. If you like boutiques, or music, or art, or nice unique restaurants, you might want to move to west village, and if you are in your late 20s, east village. Alternatively, if you are married and young, but a little established and want some peace, I HIGHLY recommend upper west side, 70’s to 90s. Wonderful places, great quiet blocks, lots of diverse ranges of cuisine and price points, and central park AND riverside park. More about your personality than anything else.

ng30 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Thanks…this is exactly what we did. Ironically > enough, I read your post as we were walking back > to fill out our application at a new development > on 42nd and 12th. It was comforting to me as we > were about to sign our life away! The building is > brand new and incredible…2 mos. free and no > fees. Little bit out of the way, but well worth > it to us. Not to mention there’s a free shuttle > to grand central in the morning. Thanks for > validating our decision! > Well, it’s a little too late, but I was going to say that (as your wife will find) the reverse commuters out of Grand Central often find the Upper East side a convenient place to live because they can catch the subway up to 125th Street to catch their train (I know I did when I reverse commuted to Greenwich / Darien, CT. But a new building is hard to beat, so best of luck to you!

Working in greenwich, going downtown to 42nd to grand central, and then going BACK to 125th to your house? Not to mention that 125th is an awful neighborhood on the east side, how is it ‘convenient’ to go from greenwich to 42st, and then back up to 125th? Sounds like youre going from 125th the 42nd twice every day just for fun.

Thanks guys. Looking forward to exploring the various 'hoods in time for next year if we look to move.

tkchunc Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Working in greenwich, going downtown to 42nd to > grand central, and then going BACK to 125th to > your house? > > Not to mention that 125th is an awful neighborhood > on the east side, how is it ‘convenient’ to go > from greenwich to 42st, and then back up to > 125th? > > Sounds like youre going from 125th the 42nd twice > every day just for fun. Dude, come on.