MPS on a curve?

A number of ppl have stated that the exam is graded on a curve. Where do they get this information?

It’s just sort of common knowledge. Top scores are somewhere in the 90’s, and getting within 30% of that is probably a pass. That being said, 65-70% is usually minimum passing score.

By top scores do you mean like 6 people in the world? I can’t imagine anymore than that scoring that high, given the subjective nature of some of the questions.

To speculate further, I would guess the 99th percentile is probably in the upper 80’s to low 90’s

The question is if I do well, does that hurt your chances? I don’t think so. If you check CFA’s website, there’s an article that explains the MPS. It’s related to overall exam difficulty with no mention of a curve adjustment.

The MPS is essentially the curve adjustment. If the MPS is a 67 then the exam was bascially curved 3 points to our favor. The CFAI has said before that not a single person has ever scored a perfect score at any level of the CFA program.

I question whether there is any actual support for that assumption. CFAI has only stated that the MPS is based on the difficulty of the exam. Look at page 11, top left: http://www.cfainstitute.org/cfaprogram/Documents/the_cfa_program_our_fifth_decade.pdf#nameddest=exam_dev Chuckrox8 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > The MPS is essentially the curve adjustment. If > the MPS is a 67 then the exam was bascially curved > 3 points to our favor. > > The CFAI has said before that not a single person > has ever scored a perfect score at any level of > the CFA program.

CFAI has never indicated that a 70 is the passing grade. I apologize if I’m wrong, but show me an article stating otherwise. Speculate as much as you want, it won’t help you pass the exam. People on this forum come up with all sorts of theories, but I’m a firm believer on facts…and unless it’s indicated on by CFAI, I don’t believe it.

True, but neither have they stated the actual MPS is at all related to the quality or size of the exam pool. All I’ve been able to find is this statement from that link: “Although pass rates may fluctuate, the Board’s objective is to set a consistent standard of competency level across all years.” MFIN— Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > CFAI has never indicated that a 70 is the passing > grade. I apologize if I’m wrong, but show me an > article stating otherwise. > > Speculate as much as you want, it won’t help you > pass the exam. > > People on this forum come up with all sorts of > theories, but I’m a firm believer on facts…and > unless it’s indicated on by CFAI, I don’t believe > it.