MS Finance vs. CFA: Curriculum Depth and Marketability

Being that I’ve never been a great standardized test taker, I’ve been considering the worst case scenario – I fail level one in June and Dec 08. I’m guessing I will drop out of the CFA program and apply to a couple of well respected, but not quite elite, joint MS/MBA programs e.g Bentley, George Washington, Tulane, Vanderbilt, Lehigh etc. In terms of depth of study (primarily) and marketability (secondary), I’m trying to assess this decision. I’ve always felt the CFA charter was the only way to go, as a complement to an MBA. However, as this month ticks away, and I’m going to bed at 1:30 again, I can’t envision putting myself through the agony of studying for any level of the CFA more than twice without progressing to the next level. Any feedback, particularly, from folks who have completed similar MSF programs, or those who have hiring responsibility?

C’mon…a little more faith in yourself. You are going to pass this exam in June ad in a few yeaars get your charter. You are a smart guy who can do well on this exam. If there is a worst case scenario, deal with that when it gets here. Some wise man once said “Today’s trouble is enough for today”.

Joey, as I always say: “If you lose hope, somehow you lose the vitality that keeps life moving, you lose that courage to be, that quality that helps you go on in spite of it all. And so today I still have a dream.” (Martin Luther King, jr.)

By the way, if someone want to learn more must do a Phd…you will know the in side out of the topic studied. Ok MBA gives to you additional information…but…it is more about building connection. As a result an MBA can be considered an SPV (special purpose vehicles): they take people…repakage…and voila’…you come out as a AAA-bond… :slight_smile:

Gouman, I went to Tulane undergrad, and I know a lot of people doing the MS Finance. Its for people who dont want to leave school yet and the curriculum is laughable compared to the CFA. Career center is close to useless, and most of the jobs are located in Houston. If you do go to a ‘less than elite’ program, really consider the recruiting events and firms that visit each school. BTW, I looked at the curriculum for the MS Finance at Tulane to see if I had any regrets, and I feel that I learned more in L1 than I would have at the program.

I got my MSF from a respectable (but not elite) program and I would definitely say the CFA is more rigorous. There were some courses that are more difficult than the CFA program, but on average, the CFA goes into more depth. The thing is that a lot of employers that just don’t care or understand the CFA program. They see a degree like a MBA or MSF and are more impressed than if you put CFA after your name because they don’t understand the difficulty of the program. On average, a MSF is more rigorous than a MBA, but a MBA is more recognized and marketable. I am not a hiring person, but if I were, I would put much more faith in someone passing the CFA program than someone with either a MBA or MSF.

gouman, what you need to do is spit those broken teeth and blood out, and show some attitude to this piece of **** test. tell it you’ll see in a couple a weeks, and if that don’t work, in 6 months, in 1 year, etc. until you whup its ***. the test is like a bear. you show it fear, and it will eat you up. think positive and go conquer buddy.

mto1985 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Gouman, > > I went to Tulane undergrad, and I know a lot of > people doing the MS Finance. Its for people who > dont want to leave school yet and the curriculum > is laughable compared to the CFA. Career center is > close to useless, and most of the jobs are located > in Houston. If you do go to a ‘less than elite’ > program, really consider the recruiting events and > firms that visit each school. > > BTW, I looked at the curriculum for the MS Finance > at Tulane to see if I had any regrets, and I feel > that I learned more in L1 than I would have at the > program. Tulane must be a really Sh!!ty school then. I learned a LOT more (in certain areas)through my MS Finance than L1 or L2 (and I went to a state university). CFA curriculum covers much more accounting, and much less finance/valuation than my MS Finance did. For example, CFA curriculum barely even touches Black Scholes / derrivative valuation besides the basic characteristics. But then again, with an MS Finance the amount you learn depends on how much effort you put in. It’s not that hard to just “pass” all of the classes without really mastering the material, but what’s the point in that?

JoeyDVivre Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > C’mon…a little more faith in yourself. You are > going to pass this exam in June ad in a few yeaars > get your charter. You are a smart guy who can do > well on this exam. If there is a worst case > scenario, deal with that when it gets here. Some > wise man once said “Today’s trouble is enough for > today”. werd up, you still have 21 days to study, I know im feeling pretty exhausted right now but you justr have to man up and study everyday and you’ll be fine. worry about your next step in august until then theres only one thing you should be focused on

JoeyDVivre Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > C’mon…a little more faith in yourself. You are > going to pass this exam in June ad in a few yeaars > get your charter. You are a smart guy who can do > well on this exam. If there is a worst case > scenario, deal with that when it gets here. Some > wise man once said “Today’s trouble is enough for > today”. werd up, you still have 21 days to study, I know im feeling pretty exhausted right now but you justr have to man up and study everyday and you’ll be fine. worry about your next step in august until then theres only one thing you should be focused on

i am weighing my options as well after my graduation degree… im planning to enroll in CFA and seriously if i fail after putting all my efforts, i will drop CFA and rather start MSF…

reading above posts also leave me wondering why isnt CFA still as marketable as MBA in finance world. i mean arent hiring manager and/or professionals at financial instituitions aware that MBA doesnt cover finance as much in depth as a CFA??..i mean cm on there is no comparison between the two when it comes to financial knowledge and financial analytical skills… if i were a hiring manager for finance, i wouldnt chose MBA. I’d rather chose MSF or CFA…but obviously CFA+MBA combo is most marketable…