My exam strategy.

I am skipping IPS and moving on until i finish all AM section When i will read IPS and do risk + constraints. ONLY THEN will i do return. Dont want to drive myself nuts :slight_smile:

That’s not the worst strategy I’ve heard. Calculating the return can be very time consuming. The only problem is if there are other parts of the essay session that rely on that return (asset allocation). Then you are holding up other questions. Usually asset allocation problems are pretty straight-forward.

hezagenius Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > That’s not the worst strategy I’ve heard. > Calculating the return can be very time consuming. > The only problem is if there are other parts of > the essay session that rely on that return (asset > allocation). Then you are holding up other > questions. Usually asset allocation problems are > pretty straight-forward. They are straight forward… if you got return calc right :slight_smile: If you spent 40 minutes and still fudged it up… you are OOL

I think if you mucked up the calculation but then did the allocation problem correctly, you would get most of the points.

hezagenius Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I think if you mucked up the calculation but then > did the allocation problem correctly, you would > get most of the points. how can you do it if your alloc depends on return and risk?

I would state my required return assumption at the beginning of the problem. There is no guarantee that the grader who graded the IPS question is grading the asset allocation question.

Wasn’t last year’s 1 return calculation question worth 12 points? It’s probably close to 6 points, assuming just formulating the objective is half, approximately. Don’t you find yourself falling into a trap thinking harder questions worth more, while in reality easy questions are worth just as much? I know I do. Why is it so important to get this question, unless of course it’s used as an input in another question? Am I wrong?

Please make sure that you just donot just give the return calculatation but properly state the objectives first and then proceed with calculation. If you simply state 5.5% return, they wont award full marks either. You have to state, for ex, after tax nominal return and so on. They break the answer in to so many parts and I believe they are tough but consistent in grading. If you just do not get the end answer correct, it wont cost you much unless the return ends up as the basis for the next question. I am definetly thinking of doing the ind IPS question at the end since I do not want to repeat the disastrous exp of last year again. If you dont get it right, it takes away a lot of time and puts too much pressure on you and believe me it is awfully hard once you get in to that mode.

The return is my achilles heal…ok the whole AM section is my achilles

bigwilly Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > The return is my achilles heal…ok the whole AM > section is my achilles if there is one person i am not worried about, it is you

krishna1 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Please make sure that you just donot just give the > return calculatation but properly state the > objectives first and then proceed with > calculation. If you simply state 5.5% return, they > wont award full marks either. You have to state, > for ex, after tax nominal return and so on. They > break the answer in to so many parts and I believe > they are tough but consistent in grading. If you > just do not get the end answer correct, it wont > cost you much unless the return ends up as the > basis for the next question. > > I am definetly thinking of doing the ind IPS > question at the end since I do not want to repeat > the disastrous exp of last year again. If you dont > get it right, it takes away a lot of time and puts > too much pressure on you and believe me it is > awfully hard once you get in to that mode. v. good advice in deed, but I would quickly go thru the Qs in IPS and pick some easy one first that’s not relavent to return calc like personal profiling stuff…

ryanunsw Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > krishna1 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Please make sure that you just donot just give > the > > return calculatation but properly state the > > objectives first and then proceed with > > calculation. If you simply state 5.5% return, > they > > wont award full marks either. You have to > state, > > for ex, after tax nominal return and so on. > They > > break the answer in to so many parts and I > believe > > they are tough but consistent in grading. If > you > > just do not get the end answer correct, it wont > > cost you much unless the return ends up as the > > basis for the next question. > > > > I am definetly thinking of doing the ind IPS > > question at the end since I do not want to > repeat > > the disastrous exp of last year again. If you > dont > > get it right, it takes away a lot of time and > puts > > too much pressure on you and believe me it is > > awfully hard once you get in to that mode. > > > v. good advice in deed, but I would quickly go > thru the Qs in IPS and pick some easy one first > that’s not relavent to return calc like personal > profiling stuff… true, but you will have to reread the whole thing to get return calc again. Why waste your time?

that’s good point, gotta make sure enough time is allocated to the IPS Qs though - usually requires more than 20min - I took over 25min in most cases and only score around 60% of that :frowning: