My First Consulting Interview!... need your thoughts

Danteshek Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > bryant Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Am I close Dante? > > > > Ya guvadoo e punimayo Poruskee, no dolka > nminoga. > > interesno… no ti ne umeesh schitat’ do pyati? Sorry, I really can’t make sense of this. something like: interesting… but you don’t…

> I love this forum. Sometimes it’s like watching a good movie. Or a bad movie, in Russian. Without subtitles. > After HBS, Darden is probably the best place to go for the case method. 1. Case method is far from the holy grail of MBA instruction. Some consider it a complete capitulation, giving up on efficient techniques for teaching scientific & mathematical principles and instead returning to the 19th-century technique for educating engineers: case studies. Believe me, derivation of B-S (and important insights about how derivatives are really priced – not by discounting cashflows, but by pricing the hedging cost) is not best taught by case. Nor is statistics, portfolio management, etc etc. 2. Harvard is far from the best education. Everyone I know who’s gone there will gladly admit the level of instruction was no better than good – or mediocre. 3. Though Darden might be the most fervent case study believer (after HBS), that doesn’t mean it’s the best at doing it. Many other schools use case study method, but perhaps just for more carefully targeted subjects (strategy, accounting), and regularly trounce Darden in ratings.

Darden would be a dandy safety school.

happy belated bday, Danteshek! hope you had a good one.

I had a great birthday! Turned 26 today. Actually we did a joint birthday party with my mom’s boyfriend’s son, who turned 15 and shares the same birthday with me. Now I’m working away at my B-School apps. LBS and Cornell are now on the list along with Darden. They will all be first round apps. So wish me luck :))

If anyone cares, my headhunter gave me feedback. I was first on their list of 3-4 candidates and they wanted to invite me back and move towards an offer, with a base “in the sixties + bonus around 15%”. I told the HH (who is also a friend) that I wasn’t interesting in pursuing. Small firm. Not structured enough. Too much of a departure from my real goal (which is to work in EM sales in a bank). Want to pursure my b-school apps and thought it would be tough to explain why I left finance if I eventually want to get back into it. It’s hard to leave a hike in pay on the table though.